NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Re: NPD: 4 band gyrator drive unit

Post by NippleWrestler »

robthemac wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:06 pm So I ended up buying this, and first impressions are awesome.

I only had fifteen minutes to plug it in before the baby took over the guitar sauna. Have only really tried it as a coloured boost pedal so far, gain hasn't gone past 8 o'clock. Four band EQ is incredibly useful compared to the two band of my TC Spark. Quickly managed to dial in tones to beef up my Strat or add a little sparkle to the 335.

Even with the gain wound right back, it seems to add a touch of clipping. Haven't tested how much drive it can add as you wind it up.

Next goal is to see how it performs as a boost going into a RAT-style distortion. Hoping that the four EQ options give a lot of possible flavours.

When I lose the kids for a couple of hours I'll record this and Reg's latest pedal (overdrive and treble booster combo!)
Hey man, I'm amazed it got there so quick. Kudos to the post guys.

It doesn't clip until about two thirds of the way around. If I recall correctly it's a soft clipping circuit which has a quite gentle clip as oppose to the 'blatty' sounds I hear with hard clippers. I think it's a pair of asymmetrical LEDs. But either way, it's got some nuts as that was the idea - it can be a great boost as you've found out, an OD pedal, or can get rather chunky.

Have you tried it with just the body and air controls turned to max and the mids to zero? That was one of my fave settings and sounds like you have a bassist playing with you.

Oh, if you turn the bass and low mids down it basically is a treble booster as then you're only boosting the trebles. Cool stuff.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: NPD: 4 band gyrator drive unit

Post by bender »

I’m super interested in this. It sounds flippin cool