First valve amp build

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

tubeswell
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: First valve amp build

Post by tubeswell »

critter01 wrote:Alan,do you think that something like this would eliminate that 50 hertz hum?

" On a SE amp wire heaters as a twisted pair, no CT, no 100ohms, no ground reference at all. If you do miss a ground reference you will fry your PT!

From 1st filter cap run a 2W 220K to one side of the heaters. From the same side of the heaters run a 0.5W 27K to ground. You should now have 35-40vdc biasing the heaters. Tweak 27K to make sure that you don't have less than 35v or more than 40v (SF voltage champs might need nearer 22K?)."cheers
A simpler solution for amps with cathode biased output tubes, is to hook the heater winding CT up to the cathode(s) of the output tubes - that will elevate the heater winding to the cathode voltage of the output tube - which should at least quieten the potentially noisier pre-amp hum from the heaters. And yes - you should keep the heater AC pairs twisted together.

But hum can come from several sources. Apart from heater hum and poor lead dress, you can get hum from SE amps just from a poorly filtered power supply. In fact, in SE amps you will be more likely to get more hum than in PP amps because in a PP OT, any residual ripple hum riding on the signal gets cancelled out in each side of the OT primary (whereas you don't have that ability with SE OTs). So a really good solution for SE amps, is to use a choke in the filter. A choke acts to oppose changes in current, so it takes the ripple right out of the power supply. For a SE 1 x 6V6 amp, you only need a 40-50mA choke to filter the whole amp. So build it like a normal 5F2A, but put the choke in series with the power supply rail between the rectifier and the 6V6 plate supply node, and put another 500V 16-22uF cap to ground on the rectifier side of this choke. (So you have PT- rectifier- cap- choke- OTcap-10kresistor -screencap- 22kresistor- pre-ampcap)
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

sean k
Stagg
Stagg

Post by sean k »

On the matter of chokes could we just use the 240V winding on say a 240/12V 1A transformer? 1A divided by 20 is 50mA so the current ability is there but do things like this have the inductance we'ed require to remove some ripple. After all it's not like a choke input where we're using the choke alone to pull all the ripple but we'ed really possibly only need a much smaller inductance to take the reaining ripple after a cap off the rectifier.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

sean k wrote:On the matter of chokes could we just use the 240V winding on say a 240/12V 1A transformer? 1A divided by 20 is 50mA so the current ability is there but do things like this have the inductance we'ed require to remove some ripple. After all it's not like a choke input where we're using the choke alone to pull all the ripple but we'ed really possibly only need a much smaller inductance to take the reaining ripple after a cap off the rectifier.
I'd say you could - assuming it is an iron core tranny - because that would give better inductance. Why not give it a go and report back?
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

so its been a while since i posted anything here, thought i might complete this Lo-watt scratch build amp project i started quite awhile ago.having sorted the problem of a very audible hum with the addition of an insulated input jack it was time to figure where to mount it.originally it was going to be a head unit.with a 1950s 16mm film projector that i bought as another conversion project (18watt lite IIb which i have already started) came an extension speaker in Grey Hammerite paint
Attachments
projects%20etc%20013.jpg

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

enclosed was a 12 inch Goodmans Alnico speaker still in good nick,i went to see Alan at Anvil amps he inspected it and treated the cone with Artists Varnish and suggested that i just use the extension speaker cabinet as the enclosure for the amp i just finished.
Attachments
projects%20etc%20015.jpg
projects%20etc%20014.jpg

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

so i replaced the large power tube with a shorter 6L6 tube,flipped it upside and mounted it
Attachments
projects%20etc%20018.jpg

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

cut slots in the top for the heat to escape
Attachments
projects%20etc%20023.jpg
projects%20etc%20022.jpg
projects%20etc%20021.jpg

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

more pics of the slots and plastics grill covers for the slots
Attachments
projects%20etc%20025.jpg
projects%20etc%20024.jpg

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

reassembled it and that's the way stayed for months until 6 weeks ago when i got tired of looking at the scratched up paint job
Attachments
projects%20etc%20054.jpg
projects%20etc%20051.jpg
projects%20etc%20047.jpg

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

it took a couple of late night/early mornings to sand off the 50 year old grey paint job,using 60 grit to 180 grit sandpaper,and all i have put on it at this stage is 1 coat of sanding sealer.turning out pretty cool so far.
Attachments
projects%20etc%20066.jpg
projects%20etc%20065.jpg
projects%20etc%20064.jpg

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

more pics reassembled
Attachments
projects%20etc%20072.jpg
projects%20etc%20071.jpg
projects%20etc%20070.jpg

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

Looks cool. Any pics of the chassis mounting? Where do you access the controls?

electric68
Ashton
Ashton

Post by electric68 »

Great sounding little amp. Huge sound, I was fortunate to have a jam with critter a couple of weeks ago. Really cool look to the cabinet as well. Saw the 18 watter in progress. Wish I could tackle something like that. Well done.
Myself, being a Bear of Little Brain....

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

Cab looks much better Willie!
Did you take out those big triangular braces?
Last edited by Anvil Amps Alan on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7930 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Love the retro styling! Pics of the Tele!??
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.