1 x 8" cab build

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: 1 x 8" cab build

Post by AiRdAd »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:21 pm Wired up and the back on, handle, feet, and speaker grille next.
Killer looking cab JB! You should be really proud of yourself.

Did you buy the screws with that thing around them (the silver ones on the back of the cab) them from MItre10? I need some for my cab?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

They do sell them yes... usually cheaper at bunnings ;)
https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/search?t ... %20washers
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:48 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:21 pm Wired up and the back on, handle, feet, and speaker grille next.
Killer looking cab JB! You should be really proud of yourself.

Did you buy the screws with that thing around them (the silver ones on the back of the cab) them from MItre10? I need some for my cab?
Thanks Danny! Yes what BG said!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Awesome - thanks guys :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Orange terror stamp arrived so tried out the cab with the superstrat, was farty and not quite right sounding with the low B tuning…. Bums.

Might have to look for another speaker.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

That cheap speaker was never going to work with down-tuned tones...

You want something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Eminence-Patriot ... 9HOVG?th=1
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

just don't get it delivered to the office, the look I got when I got a big box of hemp delivered to ours was killer ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:29 pm just don't get it delivered to the office, the look I got when I got a big box of hemp delivered to ours was killer ;)
:lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:48 pm That cheap speaker was never going to work with down-tuned tones...

You want something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Eminence-Patriot ... 9HOVG?th=1
I think I need to test it with another speaker just in case, but thinking now of maybe slipping a 10” in there (ooerrr vicar!!)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

So it appears the issue may be the terror stamp, not the speaker... I've opened a ticket with Andertons as using another speaker and going direct to my interface with the cab sim output gives the same weird crackling sounds on lower strings :-(

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:00 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:54 pm You may want some more screws in the back panel, doesn't look very secure.

(actually looks very impressive)
:lol: did I mention I tend to over engineer things? the back is such a tight fit I added those loops of ribbon to help pull it out, hopefully won't need to take it off...
The ribbon is a good idea. Over time, the vinyl will get used to being compressed and the back won't be so hard to remove.

That cab is destined to be played by Keith, the last surviving Human.

Who's a clever boy then? :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:13 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:00 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:54 pm You may want some more screws in the back panel, doesn't look very secure.

(actually looks very impressive)
:lol: did I mention I tend to over engineer things? the back is such a tight fit I added those loops of ribbon to help pull it out, hopefully won't need to take it off...
The ribbon is a good idea. Over time, the vinyl will get used to being compressed and the back won't be so hard to remove.

That cab is destined to be played by Keith, the last surviving Human.

Who's a clever boy then? :thumbup:
Thanks Bruce! I can't take credit for the ribbon idea, my little Ampeg bass amp had it for the front grill and I thought it was genius!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Little update, decided it made more sense to put the Jensen C8R I put in the laney in the cab as the laney has an external speaker out anyway so I can still use this speaker with it when I want to, and the incoming mini amp head I'm getting should sound good with the Jensen... whhheeeee!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:17 pm Little update, decided it made more sense to put the Jensen C8R I put in the laney in the cab as the laney has an external speaker out anyway so I can still use this speaker with it when I want to, and the incoming mini amp head I'm getting should sound good with the Jensen... whhheeeee!
Now dat's using your finking!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:57 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:17 pm Little update, decided it made more sense to put the Jensen C8R I put in the laney in the cab as the laney has an external speaker out anyway so I can still use this speaker with it when I want to, and the incoming mini amp head I'm getting should sound good with the Jensen... whhheeeee!
Now dat's using your finking!
The laney sounds a bit bigger now with the speaker in the closed back cab too, win win!