Buying a new amp head

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Buying a new amp head

Post by thehenderson »

Off topic moderation comment

one more strike and I'm gonna have to warn ya BG

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

thehenderson wrote:Off topic moderation comment

one more strike and I'm gonna have to warn ya BG
:(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

the_haunted
Ashton
Ashton

Post by the_haunted »

danrawkz wrote: Metalcore/post-hardcore stuff mainly.
From say a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86vOjYZsNQ&fmt=18 type guitar sound to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzAXKdNYuUE&fmt=18 kinda sound
You want a modern amp. forget JCM-800's and 900 unless you want to mod them, or use Distortion pedals.
danrawkz wrote: How are these Randalls? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =201881800 I realise they are a hybrid amp, but I've heard good word about the distortion channels in them.

Ah just realised that models a 300W jobby, probably not for me then.
300W is all good if it's solid state. The reason people are saying don't get a 100W valve amp, is because the idea generally is to get the tubes working hard to sound good. with solid state, it's quite the opposite; if the output is clipping it will make an awful noise. I had a 160W peavey years ago, and it was great for bedroom levels.
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Thanks fella! I'll give that a go over the weekend. "Brown it out" a bit huh? (Don't you love that term?)
I was actually tempted to say that, but what the hell does that actually mean? probably a lot of different things to different people. :roll:
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:I did notice how high the B+ was on the first preamp stages. I'll replace the 10K carbon films on there with some 22K metal oxides.

Oh, it's the 2x12 combo version of the 2204 that I'm working on.

If it's not too much trouble, have you got a schematic or a link for a depth mod? Connects to the NFB loop?
There are a few different versions: some people just hang a cap off the NFB, there is the depth mod from the SLO, and probably plenty of others floating around...
The one I am going to try (when I get my amp back from practice room) you'll probably recognize as the strangely named 'variable excursion' circuit. I'll PM you it when I can redraw it. the version I have is really hard to understand.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Cool, that'd be great. The Soldano one did come to mind too.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

For what its worth...I'd wait for a good second hand single rec or 5150 to pop up on trade me & boost with SD1 or 808 o/d pedal for ya twisted metal madness :twisted:

You also won't go wrong with a boosted JCM 800 or Silver Jub. Wicked for 80's metal awesomeness :mrgreen:

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

Haha well I went into Musicworks today and jammed on the 6505 60W 2x12 combo in there. The 5150/6505 series sound is definitely what I'm looking for.

Also tried the VK 100 through an OD and it still sounded like arse, so it's safe to say I'm crossing the valve king off the list for good.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

Yep judging from those You Tube examples the 5150's prolly the way 2 go 8)

You didn't by chance try & lift that combo did ya?
I hear they"re not exactly "featherweight" :cry:

A head & cab might be the go ....unless you eat a lotta weetbix :lol:

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

higainer wrote:Yep judging from those You Tube examples the 5150's prolly the way 2 go 8)

You didn't by chance try & lift that combo did ya?
I hear they"re not exactly "featherweight" :cry:

A head & cab might be the go ....unless you eat a lotta weetbix :lol:
Haha, well they didnt have the head and cab in the shop. I think the combos on special at the moment for $1995 too..

Lifting it with 2 people was fine. But I can imagine it would be a little hard by yourself.