Running Amps in stereo. Noise Issues?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Running Amps in stereo. Noise Issues?

Post by Lemmings »

Hi guys. I'm thinking about picking up another amp to run in stereo with my Hot Rod Deville. If I run them both from the stereo outs of my Timefactor am I likely to get ground noise problems? I asked on a US forum and they told me to just lift the ground on one of the amps, but i'm looking for a safer alternative. Any ideas?

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Running Amps in stereo. Noise Issues?

Post by badmotor »

Yeah - that's not too safe, I'd rather have noise. What you need is line selector with an isolating transformer in it. These can cost a bit of money (sorry I don't have any links for you).

I run two amps all the time with a standard Boss line selector - i play so loud that you only notice noise when you actually stop playing, and it depends on the power of the room you are playing in as to how much noise etc. One day I'll get round to getting an isolating one, but until then I'm OK.

I wouldn't lift the ground on an amp - risk of electrocution to rid a little noise? No thanks.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

I've had good luck running stereo in that I've never encountered debilitating noise, though I'm not as fussy about hum as other players can be.

But yeah, an isolated a/b/y switcher like a radial or a lehle is what you need for consistent low noise performance.

Musicworks do radial's switchbone: http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

Thanks guys. Does anyone make something like that with stereo inputs? Or would I just need to run it on one line out of the timefactor if I want to do stereo delays etc.

Edit: Or could you run it before the Timefactor into the timefactor's stereo inputs with the same effect?

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Lemmings wrote:Hi guys. I'm thinking about picking up another amp to run in stereo with my Hot Rod Deville. If I run them both from the stereo outs of my Timefactor am I likely to get ground noise problems? I asked on a US forum and they told me to just lift the ground on one of the amps, but i'm looking for a safer alternative. Any ideas?
I've got the Radial Big Shot ABY switcher in stock (I'm an authorised re-seller) - it has a ground lift for just such an issue. PM me if you're interested :)
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Capt. Black »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote: I've got the Radial Big Shot ABY switcher in stock (I'm an authorised re-seller) - it has a ground lift for just such an issue. PM me if you're interested :)

Ooh ohh is that an ongoing stock item? want need can't spare cash right now :( :? :lol:

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Indeed, I've got a couple here and they're definitely something I want to keep in stock. I'd also like to get the new Bones series ABY, as it bridges the gap between the expensive ToneBone series and the affordable BigShot series.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

This looks like the kind of thing im after

http://www.fivefish.net/diy/IsoBox/default.htm

A simple passive box that converts a stereo signal from unbalanced to balance using transformers, which effectively decouples input from output => no ground loop issues. I think Bbrunskill was making something like this a while back. I've sent him a PM about it.

Question 2: Do amps mind receiving a balanced signal? I dont really know much about that stuff but cant see why it wouldn't work.

Ryan, that Radial ABY looks cool too. Would I have trouble if i'm not running it last in the chain? Like if I run the outs back into a stereo delay are the isolated signals going to become joined again? Would be cool if they made a cheap stereo version. I've got the radial Bigshot and they definitely make a nice product.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I have the same issue. I've tried running my 2 amps from my ABY box but I get that ground loop hum. Ryan, how much is that Radial Bones ABY gonna be?

Another Idea I had was running one of the leads going to the amp into a DI box with a ground lift first, then running an XLR to jack into the amp. Would that work?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

mr_sooty wrote: Another Idea I had was running one of the leads going to the amp into a DI box with a ground lift first, then running an XLR to jack into the amp. Would that work?
Yes, but it would change the impeadance as well, your tone would change. The box I make is pretty much the same as the picture above, it's simple to make, but you need to source a high quality transformer that won't trash the guitar tone.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

bbrunskill wrote:
mr_sooty wrote: Another Idea I had was running one of the leads going to the amp into a DI box with a ground lift first, then running an XLR to jack into the amp. Would that work?
Yes, but it would change the impeadance as well, your tone would change. The box I make is pretty much the same as the picture above, it's simple to make, but you need to source a high quality transformer that won't trash the guitar tone.
Yeah, would like to get one of those boxes off ya, but so many things I need to get. The money is not always readily available.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

I'm definitely interested in this as well, although have no idea where to get the 'right' transformers from.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

badmotor wrote:I'm definitely interested in this as well, although have no idea where to get the 'right' transformers from.
I started with Jaycar and DSE trannies, which sounded awful. The good sounding box I made used a Sowter Audio transformer. I think I'm going to get a Jensen for the next one.