my sneaky rockit plan...

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

denden
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time

my sneaky rockit plan...

Post by denden »

After getting my 130 superlead back from clarry (200 Watts peak!) i found out an interesting bit of information.

Apparently after tracing the boost circut in the rockit, its practically identicall to the '77 crowther hotcake. Heres the thing, i have a 2003 hotcake in my pedal board, and would like to cascade two of them. So i was planning on finding out if its possible to convert the '77 model to the 2003. The main difference i believe is in the chip, but some of the other componentry may need to be swapped out. I was hopin' those with more knowlege on the subject may be able to shed some insight on the idea :)
Last edited by denden on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Re: my sneaky rockit plan...

Post by denden »

Schematics for both hotcakes

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Sorry can't answer your question but have some of my own.
What's the flip flop for in the 2003 version? How is it triggered? I'm a bit rusty on digital stuff, can someone run me through it. The point labeled Rel1 seems too be tied to ground, or is two ports and sensing the potential between ground and C8? Is that the trigger port (switched by S1)
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

If by flip flop you mean Rel1, its a relay switching the "bypass" and the LED. S1 is the footswitch which turns on Rel1, thus switching Rel1a and Rel1b into the positions shown, turning on the LED and shifting the gain of the Opamp into boost/distortion territory.

Its a pretty strange way to bypass the pedal as it isn't bypassing anything at all. Just switching from unity gain to a higher gain state. So if the battery dies, it shuts everything off and you have to unplug it rather than just switching it off.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

denden wrote: So i was planning on finding out if its possible to convert the '77 model to the 2003. The main difference i believe is in the chip, but some of the other componentry may need to be swapped out.
Why do you need it to be 2003 spec to cascade them?

The magic in a real Hotcake is in the exact charachteristics of certain components that Crowther selects for the job. Slew rate of the op-amp for example. You could mess with the on-board boost or make up a little Hotcake clone on perfboard (its a pretty simple circuit) but without knowing what specs make a hotcake do what it does, its a bit of a lottery.

I don't think that changing the on-board boost is going to help you much. Most of the difference between the two is in how its turned on and off and the LED indicator.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Ears »

ash wrote:If by flip flop you mean Rel1, its a relay switching the "bypass" and the LED. S1 is the footswitch which turns on Rel1, thus switching Rel1a and Rel1b into the positions shown, turning on the LED and shifting the gain of the Opamp into boost/distortion territory.

Its a pretty strange way to bypass the pedal as it isn't bypassing anything at all. Just switching from unity gain to a higher gain state. So if the battery dies, it shuts everything off and you have to unplug it rather than just switching it off.
Ta, yes, the relay assembly descibed as bistable (latch) = a flip flop, I am unfamiliar :oops: with the symbol next to (left of) Rel1, although it rings vague bells, I take it from your explanation it is the relay coil then, connected to both C8 and ground. To further expose my possible/probable ignorance, what's the E mean in R1's 220E ?
Don't quite follow your point about about specs though, as the op amp is specified and a look inside any unit will inform on capacitor choice and resistance tolerance. What/which is/are the critical componentry?
Am I right that these have a good reputation as a compressor as well as overdrive function.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Ears wrote:Ta, yes, the relay assembly descibed as bistable (latch) = a flip flop, I am unfamiliar :oops: with the symbol next to (left of) Rel1, although it rings vague bells, I take it from your explanation it is the relay coil then, connected to both C8 and ground. To further expose my possible/probable ignorance, what's the E mean in R1's 220E ?
Don't quite follow your point about about specs though, as the op amp is specified and a look inside any unit will inform on capacitor choice and resistance tolerance. What/which is/are the critical componentry?
Am I right that these have a good reputation as a compressor as well as overdrive function.
The symbol is for the relay coil or the equivalent pin(s) on the latch.

When Paul Crowther was using 741 Op-amps ( a really low grade, old fashioned unit) I understand he was buying loads of them, testing and selecting the ones the met certain specs. One of the things was slew rate, which is particularly bad on 741s. Getting slew rate in the right range (somewhere between shitty and rubbish) is apparently one of the keys to the Hotcake sound. He would also have been selecting resistors to control the gain profile and the difference between on and "off", being that its not actually bypassed. These are things I heard from another local amp/pedal tech when he gave me a schematic some years ago.

I think 220E probably means 200 Ohms. Maybe its a German thing...

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

ash wrote:
Ears wrote:Ta, yes, the relay assembly descibed as bistable (latch) = a flip flop, I am unfamiliar :oops: with the symbol next to (left of) Rel1, although it rings vague bells, I take it from your explanation it is the relay coil then, connected to both C8 and ground. To further expose my possible/probable ignorance, what's the E mean in R1's 220E ?
The symbol is for the relay coil or the equivalent pin(s) on the latch.

When Paul Crowther was using 741 Op-amps ( a really low grade, old fashioned unit) I understand he was buying loads of them, testing and selecting the ones the met certain specs. One of the things was slew rate, which is particularly bad on 741s. Getting slew rate in the right range (somewhere between shitty and rubbish) is apparently one of the keys to the Hotcake sound. He would also have been selecting resistors to control the gain profile and the difference between on and "off", being that its not actually bypassed. These are things I heard from another local amp/pedal tech when he gave me a schematic some years ago.

I think 220E probably means 200 Ohms. Maybe its a German thing...
So are the current Hotcakes true bypass or are they the same as stated above?

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Ears »

As Ash says, not bypassed. If anything you might consider it acts as a buffer, but it will always shape the tone through the action of caps 3,4,5,6

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

220H does in fact mean 220 Ohms
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

First thing to do would be swap out the 741 opamp with 071 which is designed as a drop in replacement and see how that sounds. Should be simple affair once you solder in the IC sockets. The rest of the difference is, like Ash says, LED and signal path switching and additional presence control. Thats definitely not a true bypass which is not necessarily a bad thing but it may explain why your hotcake is fussy on where on your pedal board it lives.
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

denden wrote:After getting my 130 superlead back from clarry (200 Watts RMS!) i found out an interesting bit of information.
Interesting. Mine's putting out 120-odd.

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

dc wrote:
denden wrote:After getting my 130 superlead back from clarry (200 Watts RMS!) i found out an interesting bit of information.
Interesting. Mine's putting out 120-odd.
mines doing 100 watt clean, 200 watt peak on full power
70 watt clean, 130 watt peak on half power.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

Would either of you fullahs like the matching footswitch for that amp? I have the dedicated one from when I owned a super lead 130 and don't need it.

PM me if you want it.