General audio system tech resource: Rane Library

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

General audio system tech resource: Rane Library

Post by Ears »

This isn't specific to amps, couldn't figure where to put it.
Posted this because of Lawrence's question on ground loops in another thread, the articles on interconnecting gear and on proper shielding etc may be of interest, but I suspect stompboxes may float ubnder the radar of the systems described .
This library has a wealth of extremely high quality technical information on professional audio systems, not just the electronic building blocks.
I suspect many professionals will find this valuable also.
http://www.rane.com/library.html
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Re: General audio system tech resource: Rane Library

Post by dayl »

Awesome stuff ears,

I have had the chance to use a fair bit of rane gear in my time when one of my mates was a rep for them. I have never come across a more professional sounding and feeling for that matter mixer.

While we are on the topic, check out Dan Lavry's white papers on sampling theory etc. Hes pretty much the man in his feild of A/D - D/A conversion etc. The paper on 'do you really need 20bit' is interesting as I've been part of and have seen many a heated conversation on the subject.

http://www.lavryengineering.com/index_html.html

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Thanks, I will bookmark those papers for further reading they look interesting but I fear Nyquist's theorum etc is bordering on the extremes of what I can comfortably recall (and cope with) after a long period outside engineering.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Haha, I dont doubt that you will be able to figure that one out if you wanted to.

I didnt read itto it too much, just used them as a bit of a buffer to obtain a little more understanding of the whole resampling etc process.