Spring reverb

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Spring reverb

Post by telefiend »

benderissimo wrote:
telefiend wrote:I'm somewhat interested in doing the same thing to my Fuzziebro (sweet amp). Being cak-handed with electronics I'll probably just end up with a pedal tho. I miss reverb :(
I just an EHX Holy Grail plus and it's pretty good. I'd rather have a spring but the pedal does a pretty good job. Maybe you should grab my reverb tank and talk to Rocklander about the pedal front end that he recommended to me.

If you're interested, PM me an offer.
Cheers mate, I'll consider it :)

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

You need a driver, transformer, reverb unit, recovery amp, and a suitable position in existing amp topology to mix the return signal.
Solid state drivers can be op amp or transistor, needing usual 15V or 20V supplies.
Tubes ccts traditionally require two tubes, one to drive (both triads in parallel) and one tube for recovery/mixing and a transformer to match the spring reverb unit. It can be acomplished with just single tube if you use a pair of transistors as well in order to achieve sufficient current drive.
What you choose will depend largely on what your amp's power supply (including heater supply) can deliver without too much dicking around.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

benderissimo wrote:
telefiend wrote:I'm somewhat interested in doing the same thing to my Fuzziebro (sweet amp). Being cak-handed with electronics I'll probably just end up with a pedal tho. I miss reverb :(
I just an EHX Holy Grail plus and it's pretty good. I'd rather have a spring but the pedal does a pretty good job. Maybe you should grab my reverb tank and talk to Rocklander about the pedal front end that he recommended to me.

caveat: it's not a recommendation. I've not played with reverb so no idea what they're 'supposed' to sound like but the 'stage center' reverb (that's the one I have made before) has a VERY dark sound to it, and no real way I could see to lighten it. it has a great boost to it, and even dirties up via the volume knob, but the sound was not to my taste. very dark and echoey... ymmv.

happy to build whatever, but it'd need to be on the proviso that what it turns out as is what you get. I have no idea how to tweak stuff (just a solder by numbers guy) which is part of the reason I don't charge for the work heh.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

rocklander wrote:
benderissimo wrote:

caveat: it's not a recommendation. I've not played with reverb so no idea what they're 'supposed' to sound like but the 'stage center' reverb (that's the one I have made before) has a VERY dark sound to it, and no real way I could see to lighten it. it has a great boost to it, and even dirties up via the volume knob, but the sound was not to my taste. very dark and echoey... ymmv.

happy to build whatever, but it'd need to be on the proviso that what it turns out as is what you get. I have no idea how to tweak stuff (just a solder by numbers guy) which is part of the reason I don't charge for the work heh.

Sorry Rocky. Didn't mean to throw you forward there. I shouldn't have worded it quite like that.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

benderissimo wrote: Sorry Rocky. Didn't mean to throw you forward there. I shouldn't have worded it quite like that.
no worries bro.. just wanted to be clear.. a pedal genius I ain't.. fuzziebro is that :D .
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

You can always build a 6G15 clone - that sits in front of your amp. (I did one last year that I've finally shot all the trouble out of, and it sounds sweet as in front of my home-brewed tweed clones). If you want to add tube driven verb, but don't think you have much to play with in terms of what your heater winding can take, you can try a 1-tube reverb (using a dual triode before the PI/driver) - there's a few examples over at the dumble forum. Whilst a one-tube 'verb won't get you into surf caintry, it'll still make your average (otherwise un-reverbed) tube amp sound a little bit sweeter IHMO (acknowledging that reverb ain't everyone's cuppa tea). A 12AX7 only draws 300mA of heater current, so the one-tube 'verb should be within the safety margin built into most stock PT heater windings. You'll also need a Blackface fender-style reverb tranny and a decent pan that has the right input impedance to go with the tranny.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins