Spring reverb

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Spring reverb

Post by bender »

Anyone know how to implement a spring reverb into an existing amp?

I want to add one to my 18watt clone. I'm building the cab so there's no worries there, just wondering what is required circuit wise.

I already have a reverb tank (short, 2-spring).

Alternatively, how about making a dedicated external spring reverb box or pedal?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: Spring reverb

Post by rocklander »

benderissimo wrote:Anyone know how to implement a spring reverb into an existing amp?

I want to add one to my 18watt clone. I'm building the cab so there's no worries there, just wondering what is required circuit wise.

I already have a reverb tank (short, 2-spring).

Alternatively, how about making a dedicated external spring reverb box or pedal?
I made one (external pedal) for a colleague. it was the generalguitargadgets one.
it's VERY dark sounding.. kinda spooky echoey.. not sure if it's supposed to sound like that or not.. his tank was quite short.

not a terribly difficult build, but the concept (I imagine) should be the same as a remote pedal to a chamber on the amp, no? just have it prior to the input signal (which is where a pedal would be) and a long lead to switch it on a remote footswitch.. guitar lead for switching.
of, course I'm just theorising.. happy to be shot down.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Ummmmm... might be a bit overkill there IB.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

maybe, id hate too see what size the housing would have to be for that :shock:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Ironbird13 wrote:maybe, id hate too see what size the housing would have to be for that :shock:

It'd look cool on your pedalboard...

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

benderissimo wrote:It'd look cool on your pedalboard...
i dont think even my board is big enough for that :wink:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

I think I achieved this but it is probably the most inconvenient effects unit ever made. The reverb time (sustain) is so long that the springs need damping and I found that the best material for doing this is a slice of cucumber wedged under the end of each spring
Apart from the size, I can imagine wedging fresh cucumber under each spring would be a little inconvenient :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

BG wrote:Apart from the size, I can imagine wedging fresh cucumber under each spring would be a little inconvenient
:lol: :lol:
well its gotta be better than eating it? :wink:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

BG wrote:
I think I achieved this but it is probably the most inconvenient effects unit ever made. The reverb time (sustain) is so long that the springs need damping and I found that the best material for doing this is a slice of cucumber wedged under the end of each spring
Apart from the size, I can imagine wedging fresh cucumber under each spring would be a little inconvenient :eek:

LOL! That's awesome. I missed that bit.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

What I want to know is how he discovered the magic properties of cucumber? Was he having a bath at the time? Did it come to him in a flash? Did he run down the street naked shouting 'Eureka! I'll just wedge some cucumber under there!'
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

I'm somewhat interested in doing the same thing to my Fuzziebro (sweet amp). Being cak-handed with electronics I'll probably just end up with a pedal tho. I miss reverb :(

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Cucumbers come from space.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

telefiend wrote:I'm somewhat interested in doing the same thing to my Fuzziebro (sweet amp). Being cak-handed with electronics I'll probably just end up with a pedal tho. I miss reverb :(
I just an EHX Holy Grail plus and it's pretty good. I'd rather have a spring but the pedal does a pretty good job. Maybe you should grab my reverb tank and talk to Rocklander about the pedal front end that he recommended to me.

If you're interested, PM me an offer.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

telefiend wrote:Cucumbers come from space.

Give me a cucumber over an aubergine any day of the week. Those things are just flat-out weird.