considering this as a first valve AMP project

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: considering this as a first valve AMP project

Post by Ears »

the_haunted wrote:interesting PSU design alright, almost like a CRT TV supply (LOPT) :D
Ears wrote:I'd consider making it with a tranny but then it would be bigger and mains operated.
:shock:
Yeah, 240V to 24V (or better still 30V) followed by a doubler should do it.
the_haunted wrote:But seriously, if ya powered it off AC 12v instead, you could just buy a tiny 12v mains transformer (probably even PCB mount) and wire it in reverse. would give you 200v @ a few mA
Good idea but you still have to get that 12VAC from somewhere, which means.....
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Firefox - hated it.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 808 times

Post by hamo »

ash wrote:Firefox - hated it.
I'll put you in the same box with "people who don't rate Megan Fox" then. :P
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

the_haunted
Ashton
Ashton

Post by the_haunted »

Ears wrote:
the_haunted wrote:interesting PSU design alright, almost like a CRT TV supply (LOPT) :D
Ears wrote:I'd consider making it with a tranny
:shock:
Yeah, 240V to 24V (or better still 30V) followed by a doubler should do it.
That 1st bit was just me trying to be funny about the word tranny... anyway...
Ears wrote:Good idea but you still have to get that 12VAC from somewhere, which means.....
Yeah, for sure, but the Original uses 12v DC adapter, which means mains anyway. it's not gunna last very long on a battery, unless you use a car battery :)

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

the_haunted wrote: That 1st bit was just me trying to be funny about the word tranny... anyway...
:D :lol: Geez, I'm slow! :lol: should be more careful how I put it.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

rocklander wrote: the thread link (first one) says it goes to 70/80VDC.. at least it's not the 00's that the big boys get to.. closer to my comfort zone, but another reason that I'm a bit weary..
Hiya rocklander

(Excuse me for being a 1st time poster on this forum)

Is the reason you are interested in this because it is a 'low-powered' amp? No dissing intended to the designer, but the tubes it uses are really tiny and it looks like it'd be really fiddly for a 1st-time build.

Instead you could just build a conventional Class A SE amp (like a tweed champ or princeton clone) for around $300-$400, which is a lot easier to get parts for and will still be low-powered and heaps of fun to play. There's a lot more knowledge around about troubleshooting the traditional style amps as well. Don't be put off by the high voltages - they just come with the territory.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

tubeswell wrote:
rocklander wrote: the thread link (first one) says it goes to 70/80VDC.. at least it's not the 00's that the big boys get to.. closer to my comfort zone, but another reason that I'm a bit weary..
Hiya rocklander

Is the reason you are interested in this because it is a 'low-powered' amp? No dissing intended to the designer, but the tubes it uses are really tiny and it looks like it'd be really fiddly for a 1st-time build.

Instead you could just build a conventional Class A SE amp (like a tweed champ or princeton clone) for around $300-$400, which is a lot easier to get parts for and will still be low-powered and heaps of fun to play. There's a lot more knowledge around about troubleshooting the traditional style amps as well. Don't be put off by the high voltages - they just come with the territory.
There's no excuse for being a first time poster!

Just kidding, welcome, great first post. 8)

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Thanks hamo
I'm a regular over at the MEF, but a certain k1w1 there suggested this might be a good place to visit now an again
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

tubeswell wrote:Thanks hamo
I'm a regular over at the MEF, but a certain k1w1 there suggested this might be a good place to visit now an again
We're a motley crew of piss-takers here, but now and again series talk breaks out. Hope you stick around and have some fun.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

tubeswell wrote:
Hiya rocklander

as hamo said.. welcome to the forum

and, nope.. not low power, but low voltage.. the type of volts floating round the board of a 'low power' amp scares the bajezus out of me, and I'd not even consider doing one without a bunch more knowledge and experience.. this could serve as an interim, but to be honest, it'll prolly not fly with me anyway cos I have other stuff I need to get done.. like fixing my suddenly noisy magnus modulus.. :x
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass