5E3 build

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

5E3 build

Post by Doc Murray »

hi just fired up my 5E3 today, first I took a few voltage readings and they looked ok so i put the tubes in and was still playing 3hrs later what a great sounding amp.
It took about 3 months to build. I started with the cab, finger jointed pine built to spec no screws or nails got the timber from an old shelf I had.
the chassis is made of 1mm steel plate I folded it to form a 2.400mm channel and another smaller one for the end plates so I now i can just cut of a new section if I want to build another. I bought 2 hole saws to drill the tube sockets and a deburrer to clean the sharp edges.
The circuit board is NOS board I got life time supply of the stuff 6sq ft for $20.
I then started to get the components Jaycar in Sth Auckland had quite a bit of stuff Belton tube sockets,fuse holder,switchers,etc.
I got most of my info from Music Electronic Forum and other forums as well as lots of reading and looking at photos other peoples builds.then I discovered CAB right here in the west so that took care of not having to send to the US for the caps and other bits when i needed them.
It took a lot of time putting things together then taking a part again making sure that everything was going to fit and not committing solder to things to soon.
Ive bought some real nice NOS tubes on trademe RCA 6V6 ,Telefunken12ax7.
I took it to the gearfest in Auckland on Saturday but it was a pity that it was'nt going at that time.
Anyway it is now firing and I must say it is by far the best sounding amp I've owned and I've had a few.
If anyone is interested hearing this amp I will be giging it down at Fordes Bar next month I'll post the date
when i know the night.
Nearly forgot I bought a vintage alnico which should be here tomorrow so I'm hoping it might just sound better than
what is in there at the moment.
I like to thank Ryan for his support.
Attachments
amp1.jpg

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Re: 5E3 build

Post by bender »

Waaaaaaaay cool Doc!

I played a 5E3 for the first time at CAB on friday and I'm totally hooked. Will definitely give one a crack when my time becomes more free.

Great cabinet too 8)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2268 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

It looks great in person too, but ya buggered off before we got to try it on Sat :( I love the recycled pine look :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

BG wrote:It looks great in person too, but ya buggered off before we got to try it on Sat :( I love the recycled pine look :D

Yeah bro, I was bummed that I couldn't stick around. That's fatherhood for ya. Gotta say I was a bit surprised there was no pointing and laughing as I drove off in the banana yellow nun's car I had for the weekend.

Back on topic... I do love amps and guitars that are well put together but a little rough round the edges. This one looks brilliant.

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Doc Murray »

Thanks, the cab has a bit of filler cause i can't afford a router to machine the joints but I see Ryan,s got some
tweed and oxblood grill cloth so will cover this one.Here is the fingers being cut
Attachments
cutting-fingers.jpg

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Dayam! I did mine using a router and a wee jig I made for it. I still had to fill it though (I was a bit over-cautious when routing). I really dig seeing people making stuff with hand tools. Very cool.

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Doc Murray »

I found the hardest part was gluing it up square had to pull it a part once because it was twisted I think I'll build a jig
to hold and cramp it next time this is how I did it. Rebating the top and the bottom for the facia's was hard with just
a tenon saw
Attachments
cab-glueing.jpg
Last edited by Doc Murray on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Hey whatta cool looking amp!!! I bet it sounds a cool as it looks. (Amps always look and sound cooler when you make 'em yourself.) Well done!

BTW I though the Wellie gearfest was going to be in mid Nov now??
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

tubeswell wrote:Hey whatta cool looking amp!!! I bet it sounds a cool as it looks. (Amps always look and sound cooler when you make 'em yourself.) Well done!

It is- November 14th. I was at the Auckland one in the weekend.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

benderissimo wrote:
tubeswell wrote:Hey whatta cool looking amp!!! I bet it sounds a cool as it looks. (Amps always look and sound cooler when you make 'em yourself.) Well done!

It is- November 14th. I was at the Auckland one in the weekend.
Okay you had me goin' for a minute :-)
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Well done man, I've got a router but I'm terrified of it and wouldn't have a clue how to make a template, so I might try things your way.
BTW where did you get the NOS turret/cct board? What material exactly is it? Thickness etc?
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Doc Murray »

Hi Ears,it's 3mm thick made in Aus back in the sixties drills real easy and takes 4mm eyelets which I get from spotlight
here is a photo of marking out new board from the cicuit already built
Attachments
cloning-circuit.jpg

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Freekin Mint Job there. Like it.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Doc Murray wrote:Hi Ears,it's 3mm thick made in Aus back in the sixties drills real easy and takes 4mm eyelets which I get from spotlight
here is a photo of marking out new board from the cicuit already built
is it available anywhere?
I have used some marcarta board but it's quite expensive.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Doc Murray »

no in fact when I started to think the circuit board I searched all over auckland but no one seemed to know
what i was talking about well finally i went to a factory in Drury well believe it or not they took me out back
and there was three big sheets they used on top of the smoko tables $20 the lot same sort of stuff you see on eBay.
If you want some let me know