Covering cabs

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Covering cabs

Post by alanp »

Okay, so tolex, tweed and tablecloth has been used to cover cabinets before, is there any reason why denim hasn't been used (that I know of)?
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Covering cabs

Post by Rog »

Yep, denim has been used. At least by Orange - Jimmy Bean range. I'm fairly sure I've seen it on a Kustom and also a probably home-done Marshall.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

holelottaluv
Ashton
Ashton

Post by holelottaluv »

why dont you cut up your levis, and cover it with them , make sure you leave a :idea: pocket on them for your stash

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

LOL, yeh the pocket would be a great place to put your tuner in.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

how bout whipped cream?

... yes, I was watching the naked gun 33 1/3rd last nite.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

alanp wrote:Okay, so tolex, tweed and tablecloth has been used to cover cabinets before, is there any reason why denim hasn't been used (that I know of)?
If memory serves, Kustom did some in the '70s. Can't see why it wouldn't be good, but if the price of a pair of Levis is anything to go by, it might double the cost of your amp.
Would make a cool Blues amp.... :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sean k
Stagg
Stagg

Post by sean k »

Anything thats hard wearing would do the job as it's only really there so you don't have to see the wood underneath and I personally would like to see a little creativity applied to such a task beyond what fender did back in the fifties.

Denim would work, as would any cotton drill fabric, but left unsealed would be asking for problems I think.

Maybe a car laquer clear soaked into it would work but with some plastisizer added to give it better wear characteristics as opposed to a drying oil like boiled linseed or shellacs.

My brother is a leather finisher and he's done some amazing things with leather in the past, basically all the old tricks car painters use, and knows the chemicals to use with his paints so something thin and not stretchy at all with a good protective layer over the skin and it's colouration could put your stuff in a zone all by itself.

Best would be to cover the amp unsealed then seal it off before hardware is attached.

He's at Leathersmaiths in East Tamaki. Kevin.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

sean k wrote:Maybe a car laquer clear soaked into it would work but with some plastisizer added to give it better wear characteristics as opposed to a drying oil like boiled linseed or shellacs.
scotchguard perhaps?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

rocklander wrote:
sean k wrote:Maybe a car laquer clear soaked into it would work but with some plastisizer added to give it better wear characteristics as opposed to a drying oil like boiled linseed or shellacs.
scotchguard perhaps?
ah yes, semen is such a persistent stain...

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

BG wrote:
rocklander wrote:
scotchguard perhaps?
ah yes, semen is such a persistent stain...

What has Robben Ford got to do with this?
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

I think this picture answers many questions posed in this thread...

sean k
Stagg
Stagg

Post by sean k »

I saw an idea on the bench... how come it's now outside in the gutter?

Ah, nothing useful to add so lets get crude and see if bad jokes will replace our notions of retaining self esteem.