Cabinet build for them Dumbles.

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Cabinet build for them Dumbles.

Post by Marshmallow »

Hey guys,

I've decided to make a speaker cabinet for my Dumble amps. This time, I'm using the good old New Zealand pine (awesome) Cabinet is 18mm thick and the baffle 12mm.

Size of the speaker is similar to the original dumble open back. However, rather than finger joints, I've decided to use reverse rabed joints seen in the all natural morgan amps. The joints are not as strong as the half bind dovetail but it's easier and strong enough to hold the cabinet together. It will also prevent any sounds leaks. Will finish this in simple black tolex with diamond vox grille and white piping. Will have the typical dumble cabinet corners

Won't be touching this until next weekend. It should also be finished next weekend. 😹

total cost for both builds $250. πŸ€”

Regarding the front baffle, is 12mm enough for the 8kg evm? There's only 12 or 15mm πŸ€”

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Re: Cabinet build for them Dumbles.

Post by Miza »

Nice.

Those joints are nice and clean. Did you use a special tool, or just a table saw?

And that strap thingy looks interesting. Is it designed for keeping cabinets square?
Nothing to see here.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Miza wrote: ↑Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:03 am Nice.

Those joints are nice and clean. Did you use a special tool, or just a table saw?

And that strap thingy looks interesting. Is it designed for keeping cabinets square?
Hey man just a table saw. I used 18mm(+tolex) pine because the corners I got were for 19mm. The groove is only about 7mm but the joints are really right.

Yup! Its got some sort of a twist lever to hold the box together as well while it's being glued up.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Nice work. Are you single or so?

:wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Jay wrote: ↑Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:22 pm Nice work. Are you single or so?

hahahaha!!!! funny you said that. I've been noticing how prolific he has been lately... too prolific for a guy with kids!!!! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Marshmallow wrote: ↑Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:01 pm

Hey man just a table saw. I used 18mm(+tolex) pine because the corners I got were for 19mm. The groove is only about 7mm but the joints are really right.

Yup! Its got some sort of a twist lever to hold the box together as well while it's being glued up.
You have a dado stack? Shit carbatec you're looking at 500 bucks min.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

AiRdAd wrote: ↑Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:33 pm
Jay wrote: ↑Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:22 pm Nice work. Are you single or so?

hahahaha!!!! funny you said that. I've been noticing how prolific he has been lately... too prolific for a guy with kids!!!! :-)
haha I don't have kids. I live with my GF haha. It doesn't take that much time! Really!:lol:

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: ↑Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:57 pm

Don't have a dado stack. :lol: The workshop i usually go to has. :lol:

I'm going to redo the baffle today. I decided to change the design a little. The tolex will arrive tomorrow. So I'll round the edges this weekend and glue the tolex. my vox grille from china should arrive next week.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: ↑Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:57 pm

https://www.stringdriver.jp/en/

Plenty of dumble spec'd cabinet sizes in here if you're interested. I had a closer look at these cabinets so I should be able to share any information required for building these dumble type cab to spec. I'm building the open back type 112.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I wanna know what you do for a job, you obviously have some serious talent with making stuff!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

what's a young chap like you staying home so much doing sensible things?? you're in Japan! it's a paradise out there!!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

jeremyb wrote: ↑Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:40 pm I wanna know what you do for a job, you obviously have some serious talent with making stuff!
I work as an architect here in Japan. :lol:
KNNZ wrote: ↑Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:55 pm what's a young chap like you staying home so much doing sensible things?? you're in Japan! it's a paradise out there!!
Haha I work 12 hours a day not including the 1 hour trip to work so a young chap like me prefers to stay home and travel once in a while. :lol: Japan is great but smaller than you think :lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

You get to use a bloody good workshop. I have to justify all my purchases, by making new windows for our house :)

Found a dado stack in nz for around $150 might look into it, else I'll keep doing dados on the router table.

Its ok jb, you can release now.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: ↑Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:33 pm You get to use a bloody good workshop. I have to justify all my purchases, by making new windows for our house :)

Found a dado stack in nz for around $150 might look into it, else I'll keep doing dados on the router table.

Its ok jb, you can release now.
Yea the workshop is awesome! Quite busy.. usually I just walk in and pretend not to speak Japanese so no one talks to me. :lol: 150 is cheap! Is it new?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yeah, not sure about the quality though...