TW type - 30w

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

TW type - 30w

Post by Marshmallow »

That time of the year again. I thought I'd stop building amps for a while. About to build this amp since I have spare parts. Might go for 6L6 or el36. I heard 6l6 will give smoother cleans but we will see. Fender type doesn't start until next year so will have to build something in between. Will go for the usual 30w but remove the bright switch.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: TW type - 30w

Post by Marshmallow »

Used the spare parts for prototype so ignore the cheap parts. Sounds good already with a few mods. 2x tungsol power tube packs a punch..Using chinese tubes for the preamp atm so will have to to replace it eventually. Cleans are bloomy and punchy. Gain is monstrous and harmonic. Used my ODS cabinet for the test. Did the same build construction as the previous one with a few more mods done to make it a lot warmer/bassman type. I will change the tone caps and filter caps this weekend.

Only problem is, MV jumps volume like a bitch. Will need to redo the MV again and see how I can deal with the problem. It's probably the old pot i'm using.

Using japanese power transformer + TW classictone 30w. Was lucky enough to find it a used one. It could do 4/8/16 ohms but I'm only using 8 ohms.

Does anyone know how to post videos here in the forums? My friend who bought the 6v6 Trainwreck sent me a video and I tried sharing it here but I don't know how haha.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I upload to YouTube and post the link here. Interested to hear it!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

robthemac wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:05 pm I upload to YouTube and post the link here. Interested to hear it!
Can it be a private link that only a few people who has the link can see? haha :lol:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Marshmallow wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:29 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:05 pm I upload to YouTube and post the link here. Interested to hear it!
Can it be a private link that only a few people who has the link can see? haha :lol:
Yeah I think so!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

thats like a private message thing ;) where you can show video's of yourself in a message. Privately.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Just upgraded the parts this Saturday. Found it harder to redo the the boards than making an amp from scratch. Lots of parts switching to find my own taste. Recycled another SS vintage amp. Seems to be a thing here when making a trial amp. Gutted it out, new transformers and internals. Drilled the tube socket holes etc. I didn't twist the bus wire like the ODS.

On the side note, my brand new chassis for the fender arrived. Now I just need the money to proceed lol 🤣 definitely take time on building the fender like the ODS. My pedalboard is also completely in pieces since new stuff arriving.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Mate, you are an amp building robot :wink:

Nice work, as usual...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

time to market your own brand name mate! Marshmallow Amps!! I can think of at least one type of font that will be suitable! *cough Marshall*

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

KNNZ wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 pm time to market your own brand name mate! Marshmallow Amps!! I can think of at least one type of font that will be suitable! *cough Marshall*
Haha that actually sounds awesome 🤣
Jay wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:54 pm Mate, you are an amp building robot :wink:

Nice work, as usual...
Cheers!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Found this veneer with a nice woodgrain pattern

StimpyRV
Stagg
Stagg

Post by StimpyRV »

Hello I am new to NZguitar forums. I am very interested in your work. Any way of private messaging you Marshmallow? Thanks

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

You get pm privileges when you’ve made a few posts, to stop spammers from annoying members
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

StimpyRV wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:23 pm Hello I am new to NZguitar forums. I am very interested in your work. Any way of private messaging you Marshmallow? Thanks

Welcome man! You might have to make a few posts haha otherwise, Instagram is the way to go.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I think you could pm him, not sure really as I've not tested. Was just explaining why new members don't get to pm - because we've had spammers before who sign up then pm crap to people - wasn't implying Stimpy was a spammer :D