NAD - this time a combo

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: NAD - this time a combo

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:05 pm
Bg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:01 pm great looking cab :D Nice to see the grille cloth vertical for a change!
I am going to frame this compliment from the cabmeister himself :thumbup:
dude, hard to see the joins so it has to be good
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:06 pm
Bg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:01 pm great looking cab :D Nice to see the grille cloth vertical for a change!
What really annoyed me, was the attention to detail I put into cutting the corners' tolex, especially the top two front corners... because they stay visible.
I made sure they overlapped properly before I cut them with the Stanley knife. I glued them and they came out absolutely perfect...

Then after a few months this little gap appeared :evil: Something dried out or I stretched the tolex a bit too much. Nobody would notice unless you have tolexed before, but yeah, perfection is hard to achieve at times. I look at my Fender Princeton and see little imperfections there too :D
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Awesome build man! How did you do your faceplate? And the cabinet is absolutely beautiful.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Marshmallow wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:18 pm Awesome build man! How did you do your faceplate? And the cabinet is absolutely beautiful.
Thanks. Fsceplate was done in CAD and then laser cut by a shop. I would have preferred a metal faceplate but the price was prohibitive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:38 pm

What really annoyed me, was the attention to detail I put into cutting the corners' tolex, especially the top two front corners... because they stay visible.
I made sure they overlapped properly before I cut them with the Stanley knife. I glued them and they came out absolutely perfect...

Then after a few months this little gap appeared :evil: Something dried out or I stretched the tolex a bit too much. Nobody would notice unless you have tolexed before, but yeah, perfection is hard to achieve at times. I look at my Fender Princeton and see little imperfections there too :D
First cab I tolexed shrank when it dried after a month or two, it ended up with wrinkles all over it. At least it was only a quad....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Superb work , looks fantastic
You might find it interesting to try a more mid scooped American voiced speaker with it. Also those p90s will drive it pretty hard in terms of break up. Would be interested to hear it with single coils, some spring reverb and a jag/jm. Bet it would sound the business.
Congratulations anyway..your attention to detail from the ground up is why makes your work qute special..
Kee it up

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:50 am Would be interested to hear it with single coils, some spring reverb and a jag/jm.
That's news.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Nice work….impressed
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:50 am Superb work , looks fantastic
You might find it interesting to try a more mid scooped American voiced speaker with it. Also those p90s will drive it pretty hard in terms of break up. Would be interested to hear it with single coils, some spring reverb and a jag/jm. Bet it would sound the business.
Congratulations anyway..your attention to detail from the ground up is why makes your work qute special..
Kee it up
Thank you Sir.
Any speaker model suggestions? I am speaker illiterate...

You are most welcome to try it out with your gear if that would be possible.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Jay wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:47 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:50 am Superb work , looks fantastic
Kee it up
Thank you Sir.
Any speaker model suggestions? I am speaker illiterate...

You are most welcome to try it out with your gear if that would be possible.
Anything american voiced such as a jensen c12n etc

Yep would like to try it fore sure

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:45 am
Jay wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:38 pm

First cab I tolexed shrank when it dried after a month or two, it ended up with wrinkles all over it. At least it was only a quad....
Might have to get all my amps rehoused when I get back. Where do you source your tolex? Only have a black brown or green in Japan haha

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I usually get mine from the states/europe. Locally livesound, expensive though