Bedroom level "Active" Studio/Neutral Cabinet?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Bedroom level "Active" Studio/Neutral Cabinet?

Post by Gitar »

Was interested in building a 1x12 neutral tone speaker and a 5-10w neutral toned power amp section, essentially like a large Studio monitor.

I did consider just buying a solid state combo, but its unlikely they would be tone neutral as to not impact either Amp or the Cab IR's?

Has anyone done this already ? Im curious as to what parts to use.

Cheers all.
Last edited by Gitar on Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Bedroom level "Active" Studio/Neutral Cabinet?

Post by robthemac »

I think that will be a real challenge. Hard to build a cabinet that doesn't have a few peaks and troughs in its frequency response.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

If you really want neutral you could try an acoustic ceiling tile and an exciter attached to it, hang it on strings, job done!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Would it be cheaper to just buy a set of used studio monitors dedicated for its use?
Last edited by Gitar on Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Gitar wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:47 pm Would it be cheaper to just buy a set of used studio monitors dedicated for its use?
Studio monitors aren't always that neutral, but then either are FRFR speaker cabs or PA speaker cabs... I'd get something the size and output level you're wanting and then just adjust your EQ to suit :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Studio monitors are a good option. I actually found the cheap Mackie MR6s to be pretty good for playing guitar through.

I'm selling some Focal Alpha 80s if you're interested in a nice set.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:49 pm Studio monitors aren't always that neutral, but then either are FRFR speaker cabs or PA speaker cabs... I'd get something the size and output level you're wanting and then just adjust your EQ to suit :)
Oh soooo true, nor are headies, amazing how some cheaper ones can be better than some expensive ones too.

Would there be a way to adjust my EQ so I know Im starting from a flat response perspective?

5W will be plenty loud enough.

I really would like something more expensive but the headrush looks pretty good for juniors needs. It actually has quite an excellent looper and can store plenty of IRs from where ever. I was considering a boss gt1 for him, but the headrush effects are excellent. The more expensive Boss COSM models are good, but maybe another year.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Is there a reason it has to be so 'flat'? Why not just adjust stuff to a sound you enjoy/like etc, even if part of the sound is the speaker you are playing through?
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..