Built a 2x12

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Built a 2x12

Post by NippleWrestler »

It's a cab. Made of 18mm ply, spec'd out to use half a sheet (1200x1200).

The back is 1/3 convertible because I couldn't decide on open or closed back so went with both options. This is made with dowel construction, not screws. No real reason, I just prefer dowels.

The red interior is empirically proven to increase chugs by 10%.

It's got 2 of these speakers in there from 1986 wired to 8 ohms at the jack:

Speaking of the jack: normally I use those metal plates and then attach a jack to the plate. For this one I just used a locking Neutrik jack that needs a single 25mm hole:

It's much simpler combining those 2 parts into a single thing that does a better job in a smaller form factor.

I built this with a jigsaw for the cuts, a power drill for the holes, orbital sander, and a rasp I used for the DIY roundovers. You can hopefully make out there's a little bit of an angle to the front too which aims the sound a little higher than usual. And we all know every cab needs locking castors.

There's grille cloth coming in the mail but the cab is complete for all intents and purposes... maybe some handles, maybe some leather corner protectors in the future but it works, sounds great and does exactly what I intended. There's a lot of low end lurking in this thing with the back enclosed, and a fantastic snarl with the back opened up.

Here's the plans I drew up. You'll need to tailor the baffle and back dimensions to your method of doing things.

Butt joint the pieces, reinforce the corners internally with 19x19mm strips, caulk everything to make it airtight, secure the baffle and back to the internal frame and you more or less have a cab.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: Built a 2x12

Post by Slowy »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:24 am
Speaking of the jack: normally I use those metal plates and then attach a jack to the plate. For this one I just used a locking Neutrik jack that needs a single 25mm hole:
Great work there sir!.

I have permanently wired the speaker leads into all my cabs. One less thing to forget when moving stuff around and fewer plugs & sockets required. Never seen anyone else do it but it makes sense to me.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:42 am
Great work there sir!.

I have permanently wired the speaker leads into all my cabs. One less thing to forget when moving stuff around and fewer plugs & sockets required. Never seen anyone else do it but it makes sense to me.
But then I want to use the cab with an amp that's just 10cm too far away, and I curse whoever made them.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Nice work, a locking jack like the Neutrik is wise on a cab I reckon... essential on my Splawn once because at reasonable volume, the low end would vibrate out a non-locking jack.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:45 am
Great work there sir!.

But then I want to use the cab with an amp that's just 10cm too far away, and I curse whoever made them.
How does a cable with a plug each end help you there?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Great work there sir!.

You can swap it for a longer one?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:04 pm
Slowy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:31 pm

You can swap it for a longer one?
Yeah, yeah. Or you can make the permanently attached one long enough for any rational situation you'll ever encounter which is what I have done.
It's not rocket science.