Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

god himself
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Template help?

Post by god himself »

Looks cool but the strings are on backwards!

I once made a kauri explorer shape in workshop by using paint and a picture from the net and printing it out over multiple pages until it looked right. Didn't work as when I out the bridge on it looked waay to small for the guitar.
http://www.myspace.com/grimacemaster Tell me what you think!

hippy01
Fender
Fender

Post by hippy01 »

god himself wrote:Looks cool but the strings are on backwards!

I once made a kauri explorer shape in workshop by using paint and a picture from the net and printing it out over multiple pages until it looked right. Didn't work as when I out the bridge on it looked waay to small for the guitar.
heh, I might as well give this way a shot eh? I just have to get some wood to actually make the thing though... :roll:
Get all Whammy'd up on it!

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

hippy01 wrote:Long story short, im makign a custom shape thingy right? And part of it is the shape of a Kelly part is the RR, so i need to get both templates to create the right... thing.
sounds interesting, so what parts of what designs?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7771 times
Been liked: 4203 times

Post by jeremyb »

Get a picture off the net and measure a real humbucker or floydrose and then scale the photo so they end up the right size, easy!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hippy01
Fender
Fender

Post by hippy01 »

Ironbird13 wrote:
hippy01 wrote:Long story short, im makign a custom shape thingy right? And part of it is the shape of a Kelly part is the RR, so i need to get both templates to create the right... thing.
sounds interesting, so what parts of what designs?
Basically... A jackson ML? If that makes sense. Dont want to give away too much info... 8)
jeremyb wrote:Get a picture off the net and measure a real humbucker or floydrose and then scale the photo so they end up the right size, easy!
And that is a good point lol.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

hippy01 wrote:Basically... A jackson ML? If that makes sense. Dont want to give away too much info... 8)
thats what i was thinking 8)
might want to work out your own dimensions for it anyways, taking into consideration where the bottom short horn of the RR meats the other 2 horns means how comfortable it will sit on your lap(classical style) if you get what i mean
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

hippy01
Fender
Fender

Post by hippy01 »

Ironbird13 wrote:
hippy01 wrote:Basically... A jackson ML? If that makes sense. Dont want to give away too much info... 8)
thats what i was thinking 8)
might want to work out your own dimensions for it anyways, taking into consideration where the bottom short horn of the RR meats the other 2 horns means how comfortable it will sit on your lap(classical style) if you get what i mean
I do have mockup pictures. Problem is, I dont have the money for wood or anything atm, so its all.... Under...Cover? For now.
But any ideas how much a body blank about, I dunno... 44cmH x 32cmW would cost? Also got to take into consideration im gonna make it a neck through too. So id want a maple neck, and just whatevers cheap+good for the body.

Any donations welcome :D

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Post by Bg »

obviously your first port of call should be Ash, I've had some lovely wood from him (oo-err) in the past and much cheaper than sourcing your own. Recently got a neck blank in mahogony for a neck thru, obviously the hard/tedious bit will be shaping it. I got him to preslot the fretboard too as I can imagine that is a PITA. This is the first neck I'm doing from scratch and so far all is good, just radiusing the fretboard now. Just let him know what you want and I'm sure he'll sort you out.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hippy01
Fender
Fender

Post by hippy01 »

BG wrote:obviously your first port of call should be Ash, I've had some lovely wood from him (oo-err) in the past and much cheaper than sourcing your own. Recently got a neck blank in mahogony for a neck thru, obviously the hard/tedious bit will be shaping it. I got him to preslot the fretboard too as I can imagine that is a PITA. This is the first neck I'm doing from scratch and so far all is good, just radiusing the fretboard now. Just let him know what you want and I'm sure he'll sort you out.
Cheers for the advice, will do upon getting some money lol.

EDIT: One more thing. Whats Basswoods actual name? Wouldnt mind using it, as i like it a lot.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

I'm fairly sure basswood is Lime (tilia) aka Linden.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

I have a .dwg of a RRV i'll upload it later if you're interested.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

hippy01 wrote:I do have mockup pictures. Problem is, I dont have the money for wood or anything atm, so its all.... Under...Cover? For now.
But any ideas how much a body blank about, I dunno... 44cmH x 32cmW would cost? Also got to take into consideration im gonna make it a neck through too. So id want a maple neck, and just whatevers cheap+good for the body.

drop me PM....I have an RR V and I may have some wood that might interest you.....and I live in mercer
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

hippy01
Fender
Fender

Post by hippy01 »

willow13 wrote:
hippy01 wrote:I do have mockup pictures. Problem is, I dont have the money for wood or anything atm, so its all.... Under...Cover? For now.

drop me PM....I have an RR V and I may have some wood that might interest you.....and I live in mercer
Will do.
Lyle wrote:I have a .dwg of a RRV i'll upload it later if you're interested.
That would be awesome. :)

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

I can't attach the .dwg files here but if you PM me your email address I'll send it across.

hippy01
Fender
Fender

Post by hippy01 »

Lyle wrote:I can't attach the .dwg files here but if you PM me your email address I'll send it across.
Pm Sent.