Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

michael_m
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Tell me about this bridge chip?

Post by michael_m »

So I bought a guitar from a Who fan.

It was cheap enough, so I figured I'd do some work to it and turn a cheap sounding Cort into something nice. A shame about what's happened to the body, though, but I'll try think of ways to work around it. For now, though, I found this chip on the bridge:

Who thinks this is going to be troublesome for me? Will it affect tuning/intonation? What about when I try to remove the bridge so I can do work on the body? And how easy will it be to fix, if it is a big problem?

EDIT: Yeah it isn't technically on the bridge itself, but it surrounds one of the screws keeping the bridge in place, which is what makes me wonder. And it doesn't look terribly superficial, the cracks run up over the corner and join together.
Last edited by michael_m on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Tell me about this bridge chip?

Post by Basket Case »

Hey Michael, are you talking about the chip to the right of the bridge? I can see something in front of the right hand pivot post, but it's pretty hard to make out from the pics (probably the reason why no one has responded).

michael_m
Stagg
Stagg

Post by michael_m »

Okay, fair reply. I'll quickly update the pic so people can see.

EDIT: Done.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

My instinct tells me to: drill out the body oversize(bridge screw mount) & glue/bop in a wooden dowel, re-thread screw in. Just from what I can see.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

That's bad news, but fixable. You need to have the surrounding area cut out and rebuilt before redrilling the post hole.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

adrian0476
Ashton
Ashton

Post by adrian0476 »

That's bad news, but fixable. You need to have the surrounding area cut out and rebuilt before redrilling the post hole.
Yip, just what I was about to say. Route out a square socket from the body and make up a block of wood that fits into the routed socket. Use something like epoxy (araldite glue) to fix this into place. Don't go overboard with the glue as it's a bitch to sand back at times but make sure you've got adequate coverage on the block.
Not a fan

michael_m
Stagg
Stagg

Post by michael_m »

What kind of wood are we talking here?