michael_m
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Stereo output

Post by michael_m »

Hey all, I posted this thread a few days back:

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 12&t=17928

And have since revised my electrical strategy. I'm thinking of copying the rick-o-sound style, as seen in this schematic:

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 12&t=17928

...However, the difference is that I intend to run this all through two pots, volume and tone. I'm thinking of using two stacked pots so it functions the same way 4 different knobs would, but this way I don't have to drill extra holes.

All this stuff will be going through ONE output jack, instead of the rickenbacker two. The output will be a stereo jack that is toggled by a switch that can change it to mono. The point of this would be to seperate pickups individually for stereo use, and join them together when I need to with a mono lead.

Is this making sense? All I'd like to know is how doable you think this is. Any electrical geniuses out there who can think of a better method? One particular approach I considered is wiring the stereo jack so that it accepts mono anyway when a mono jack is plugged in - without any need for an extra toggle switch - much like the way power is only activated in a pedal when a lead is plugged in.

For reference, here's what my guitar looks like: http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver ... 3_full.jpg.

Thoughts?

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Stereo output

Post by borge »

michael_m wrote: One particular approach I considered is wiring the stereo jack so that it accepts mono anyway when a mono jack is plugged in - without any need for an extra toggle switch - much like the way power is only activated in a pedal when a lead is plugged in.
That can't be done, the ring of a TRS jack will be connected to earth when a mono lead is plugged in ie one channel/pickup will be lost. A pedal uses that function as a switch - when a mono jack is plugged in ring and sleeve are connected which 'switches' on the pedal.

Without going active, the guitar can't distinguish a mono lead from a stereo lead, it needs to be switched manually.

One of those two current switches could do it, (i assume they're DPDT? 6 lugs?) you could use the other for something else, phase reversal may be interesting in a two amp setup ie blending in some out of phase sounds, or may be necessary as whichever two amps you use won't always be in phase.

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

what about a trs lead ?

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by borge »

nzsimon1 wrote:what about a trs lead ?
michael_m wrote:
All this stuff will be going through ONE output jack, instead of the rickenbacker two. The output will be a stereo jack that is toggled by a switch that can change it to mono. The point of this would be to seperate pickups individually for stereo use, and join them together when I need to with a mono lead.
Sounds like he's going to use a TRS lead to me....

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

sure you can do it
Originally Posted by STEEL KAGE
As for the Vid, IMHO, the guy played the notes but had none of LC vibe or finesse...