StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

The Shelfcaster (build complete)

Post by StratMatt »

I thought I'd just document the progress of my first attempt at making something. Its nowhere near the likes of some of the amazing builds people have done here, but you can't have an average without there being an above and below.

I pulled apart the Missus old set of drawers that were built into the wall and thought the top looked like a worthy specimen.

I downloaded a template, got the local print shop to print me a 1:1 copy and I transferred it onto a piece of MDF.

Bought an Ozito scroll saw and promptly fucked up the first attempt. Looks OK here..

But side on is a different story..

Think I pushed the blade a bit too hard and it threw in the towel.

Second attempt was more successful.

Using my template and my fancy new router bit, I made some holes.

I don't know how the Missus throws on her makeup and perfume in such a way that it gets everywhere, but I could literally smell perfume as I was routing out the neck pocket and pickup cavity.

The neck seems to fit well. Hopefully shit ends up nice and straight once I string it up.Image

I'm not sure if my neck pocket is deep enough? I guess I just see how it is once everything comes together and adjust accordingly?

A bit of tidying up, sanding and oiling to do etc, but not bad for a few hours work I reckon. I don't have a drill press, hoping I can drill the bridge and neck holes straight enough!
Last edited by StratMatt on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loving it so far

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Re: The Shelfcaster (build)

Post by MikeC »

Great stuff, DIY (i.e. tackling a job with less than the required experience or tools) is a great Kiwi thing but seems to be the skill that's disappearing. It's how we learn. So when no-one is left that is willing to tackle a job because they don't have a clue or any common sense, or the rules become so draconian that it's not worth the risk, then you won't be able to find "a bloke to get in"! Long live valve amps :) PS. I know what I'm doing and have the tools for valve amps :mrgreen:
Last edited by MikeC on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I have a drill press and proper wood drills with points and everything. I still fucked up the through body holes on my last attempt :LOL:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

This is why a Tele is so awesome, just a big old slab of wood, nice work!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Bg wrote:I have a drill press and proper wood drills with points and everything. I still fucked up the through body holes on my last attempt :LOL:
yep me too. they went in nice on target but when finished and turned it over, bloody hell, must have pushed too hard and the drill bent somehow

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Mate that already looks bloody awesome!

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Use a straight edge to see if your bridge is going to be high enough. Just like on an acoustic.

Put your bridge in place. Put your neck in place. Don't attach anything. Run a straight edge from the end of the neck to the bridge. There should ideally be a little gap between the top of the bridge and the bottom of the straight edge.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

NippleWrestler wrote:Use a straight edge to see if your bridge is going to be high enough. Just like on an acoustic.

Put your bridge in place. Put your neck in place. Don't attach anything. Run a straight edge from the end of the neck to the bridge. There should ideally be a little gap between the top of the bridge and the bottom of the straight edge.
Ah ha, thanks for that. I'll check that out tomorrow. Garage lighting is a bit shit and the mind was starting to wander a bit. Better to need to take out a little more than have to shim it.

Managed to drill the neck holes nice and straight. Hoping to have it playing by the end of the weekend.
Loving it so far

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Your scroll saw problem has a one word explanation: Ozito.

I had an Ozito power tool last 30 minutes from brand new before I overarmed it off a cliff and into the tide.

Cool project! Looking forward to hearing what you think of the sound.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

That looks a bit like Rimu (?)

So in your very first build you made up a template :clap:

I have built over 15 guitars and I have still never used a template......I think I probably should have learnt by now :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

Slowy wrote:Your scroll saw problem has a one word explanation: Ozito.

I had an Ozito power tool last 30 minutes from brand new before I overarmed it off a cliff and into the tide.

Cool project! Looking forward to hearing what you think of the sound.
I know. I'm a builder by trade and all my gear is Makita or similar high quality, never usually skimp. But I thought for 130 bucks if it shits itself I'll just take it back.

There's definitely been a few choice words spoken.
Loving it so far

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

willow13 wrote:That looks a bit like Rimu (?)

I have built over 15 guitars and I have still never used a template......I think I probably should have learnt by now :rofl:
Yeah I wasn't sure but it smells like Rimu, it's certainly pretty solid.

I honestly couldn't see any other way but to make a template. With the router bit that has the bearing bit on it, it's real easy to tidy up the rough cut out.
Loving it so far

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yeah after making 3 strats I finally made a template. Never used it since the last one! But definitely templates are the way to go. Minimal clean up and sanding - speeds the shit up no end!

Have made a set of templates for tweed cab builds, have fully learned my lesson trying to repeat build and be consistent.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

StratMatt wrote:
willow13 wrote:That looks a bit like Rimu (?)

Yeah I wasn't sure but it smells like Rimu, it's certainly pretty solid.

I honestly couldn't see any other way but to make a template. With the router bit that has the bearing bit on it, it's real easy to tidy up the rough cut out.
That's 100% rimu. I've never really liked it for guitars, finding it a bit lifeless but hopefully you'll have better luck. I do think it'd make a nice fingerboard though.

Did you line up the E and e strings before you drilled the neck in btw? Just to avoid any chance of putting the thing in at a wonky angle relative to the centre line. That's not fun, speaking from experience.

If you're in Auckland and need any bits and bobs like a radius block or fret caul give me a shout.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

NippleWrestler wrote: That's 100% rimu. I've never really liked it for guitars, finding it a bit lifeless but hopefully you'll have better luck. I do think it'd make a nice fingerboard though.
yeah I had a rimu guitar and it was missing something for sure..I got around it by putting stainless steel strings on it to give it some zing..worked great (I tend to do that for any dull sounding guitar I get...In fact I have a Jackson V that just sounds so lifeless that I need to get some strings for. I have tried multiple pickups in it, different value pots etc and nothing works apart from the EMGs that it came with..but I hate the sound of EMGs so took them out and sold them)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be