Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Joe1991
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Thicknesser Alternatives

Post by Joe1991 »

G'day, just a bit of advice, apologies if it's been asked already. I see some of you guys are into building guitars. I've never done it but have had experience with other forms of woodworking. I've pretty much got all the tools I need apart from a thicknesser,; I have a jointer and a router table but no way to get a final thickness/flatface on a body.

I want to buy a thicknesser but I'm a massive tight-arse and it doesn't seem like you can pick one up cheap.

My question is has anyone experimented with other ways of flattening boards and what worked the best? I've seen people do at it with hand plane but that looks like a real pain in the arse.

P.s I'm having trouble uploading photos. I was wanting to thank Dan and do NGD for the sg. Cheers

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Re: Thicknesser Alternatives

Post by codedog »

You can always make a sled for your router. I've done that to thickness a slab of microcarpa with live edge. I didn't need a huge level of accuracy though.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Its probably cheaper just to get a local joiner to run the timber through their thicknesser, its not something you'll be doing a lot of.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

codedog wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:59 pm You can always make a sled for your router. I've done that to thickness a slab of microcarpa with live edge. I didn't need a huge level of accuracy though.
I ll second this. Building a guitar now and i made my own 'sled' from aluminium pieces from Bunnings and other bits and bobs. I took photos and also made a video. Will post tomorrow. The results are very good...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Jay wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:31 pm
codedog wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:59 pm You can always make a sled for your router. I've done that to thickness a slab of microcarpa with live edge. I didn't need a huge level of accuracy though.
I ll second this. Building a guitar now and i made my own 'sled' from aluminium pieces from Bunnings and other bits and bobs. I took photos and also made a video. Will post tomorrow. The results are very good...
I made mine wrong. The router is fixed to the sled, and the sled slides in all direction. That's just stupid. I've only needed to use it twice. If I need to use it again I'll make a new sled, where the router slides in/on the sled.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:02 pm Its probably cheaper just to get a local joiner to run the timber through their thicknesser, its not something you'll be doing a lot of.
My thicknesser blades are always either blunt, chipped or the wood is too wide for my machine so I find local joiners an easier option. Takes their grunters no time at all too for most things.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 406 times

Post by dayl »

As mentioned, router sleds are an easily made alternative and do a nice job. Made and use one during lockdown on a couple guitars

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Photo detailing sled components. I use double sided tape to keep to piece of timber that needs planing firmly attached to the tray.

Router Thicknesser - Compressed.jpg
Router Thicknesser - Compressed.jpg (438.53 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
Poor video of the sled in action...

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

I use my local joiners, they are a good source of wood too