robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Nitro spraying advice

Post by robthemac »

I'm not happy with the amount of orange-peel I'm getting using rattle cans. I'm super careful with environmental conditions, thin coats, spraying at the right distance and angle etc. I even lightly sand between coats. So I'm going to get a compressor and gun to do it right.

Looking for recommendations or advice on compressors and guns. Also, how much nitro do I need to buy? Already have a printer coat so just need colour and gloss.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Nitro spraying advice

Post by robthemac »

Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:24 pm Is this gonna do the job?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 3652895748
You'll need a regulator and a water trap or whatever passes for one these days. All you have there is pressurised air. It needs to be cleaned and dried and reduced to the pressure and volume required by the spray gun.

Perhaps start by looking at some actual paint compressors?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Easy enough to wet-and-dry out the orange peel. Buying loads of equipment really isn't necessary. I used to warm the cans in hot water for a bit. I think that helped.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Molly wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:48 pm Easy enough to wet-and-dry out the orange peel. Buying loads of equipment really isn't necessary. I used to warm the cans in hot water for a bit. I think that helped.
What Molly said, plus it generally happens with paint that’s not thin enough, so make sure your nozzle is nice and clean before spraying and maybe experiment with your distance too… with spray cans you don’t have any control over there thinning of the paint but if you find a place that can do custom cans you might get a better result as they can likely thin it to a better consistency.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I've never had paint not need hours of sanding. No biggie. With nitro you can generally get away with not needing to flat every coat as the new one melts into the last one.

I had great results with 3M Trizact pads. Cut into wee pieces and done by hand. All the way to 5000 grit. I don't have the pics to hand but I've previously posted images showing perfect mirror-like reflections. That said, as the nitro will gas-off for weeks, the quality of that mirror finish will diminish.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Thanks for the feedback. Might see if the shop can add a little more thinner and use a different nozzle. Will go from there.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

If you're going to do a lot of spraying, and you want ultimate colour flexibility, bite the bullet and get the gear. I'm happy to do a rig run down on what I use. None of it's fancy.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:15 pm If you're going to do a lot of spraying, and you want ultimate colour flexibility, bite the bullet and get the gear. I'm happy to do a rig run down on what I use. None of it's fancy.
Please!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:15 pm If you're going to do a lot of spraying, and you want ultimate colour flexibility, bite the bullet and get the gear. I'm happy to do a rig run down on what I use. None of it's fancy.
Another please
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Im using these two main devices.

That's a moisture trap on the bottom of the gun. I use a coiled hose to again minimise moisture.

The tuning of the gun is critical. I've modified this one over the years to be just how I want in terms of needle shape and how the air ratio mix screw works It is a cheap gun, maybe $80 from a tool shed type place. I do have a bugger, better one but I find it's actually not subtle enough for sunbursts etc.

Nitro around 55/45 (paint/thiner resp.). Sometimes 50/50 if you want wash coats.

PSI at around 40, and away we go. Test always on a scrap piece. Clean everything after every use (a real pain). Dust is your biggest enemy.
Attachments
9180FB60-250B-443E-8D7B-F2A0DAC89651_1_102_o.jpg
9180FB60-250B-443E-8D7B-F2A0DAC89651_1_102_o.jpg (990.63 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
13C52B5D-740A-402C-9989-925CCB9545FF_1_102_o.jpg
13C52B5D-740A-402C-9989-925CCB9545FF_1_102_o.jpg (719.92 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

looks very similar to one of my guns, I've also got a high pressure I use for general work.

Used pretty much the same setup to respray front and rear bumpers of an mx5 I used to own.

Will get a belt driven compressor when I move house, save taking the old one with me. Though as it only cost me $80 in a mitre 10 sale (long time ago, back before they were in Lunn Avenue!) its done its duty admirably. Built 3 decks with it powering a framing gun etc.

I want more pressure for tools as well.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:27 pm Im using these two main devices.

That's a moisture trap on the bottom of the gun. I use a coiled hose to again minimise moisture.

The tuning of the gun is critical. I've modified this one over the years to be just how I want in terms of needle shape and how the air ratio mix screw works It is a cheap gun, maybe $80 from a tool shed type place. I do have a bugger, better one but I find it's actually not subtle enough for sunbursts etc.

Nitro around 55/45 (paint/thiner resp.). Sometimes 50/50 if you want wash coats.

PSI at around 40, and away we go. Test always on a scrap piece. Clean everything after every use (a real pain). Dust is your biggest enemy.
What do you use for cleaning between uses? And do you clean between every coat, or just every day/changing paint.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

If I have say 3 coats going down, in say 15 min cycles, I won't clean between...but I might mix a little thinner.

After the last coat of the day I always clean. Wipe the bowl and run through around 30mls or more thinner,

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:32 pm If I have say 3 coats going down, in say 15 min cycles, I won't clean between...but I might mix a little thinner.

After the last coat of the day I always clean. Wipe the bowl and run through around 30mls or more thinner,
So you use the thinner for cleaning?