Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Re: Nitro spraying advice

Post by Starfire »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:22 pm
Bg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:04 pm 1/ so shoot it in poly :p
On a serious note, modern fender nitro finishes are over a poly primer…
Started in the mid ‘60s, if I’m not mistaken.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Fullerplast…
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Got me a 40L compressor capable of 280L/min. Not cheap, but should do the trick.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

The compressor and spraying is going well! Coming out really thin and even.

The colour was aiming to be quite an aged white, but is closer to NOS Olympic White. Haven't put clear coats on yet. Was thinking about a faint amber/yellow tint to the clear coats. Seems highly risky. I'm probably not going to take the risk of adding tints. Might take up smoking instead. Pack a day in a small closet should do the trick.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:15 pm The compressor and spraying is going well! Coming out really thin and even.

The colour was aiming to be quite an aged white, but is closer to NOS Olympic White. Haven't put clear coats on yet. Was thinking about a faint amber/yellow tint to the clear coats. Seems highly risky. I'm probably not going to take the risk of adding tints. Might take up smoking instead. Pack a day in a small closet should do the trick.
Spray a half sheet of something with the white, mask it in strips and spray each strip with different levels of tinted clear.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:28 pm
robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:15 pm The compressor and spraying is going well! Coming out really thin and even.

Spray a half sheet of something with the white, mask it in strips and spray each strip with different levels of tinted clear.
Problem is that there will be five or more coats of clear going on, so not going to trust testing it so much.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

GrantB & Andries Vorster both told me that Nitro clear coat yellows with UV light. Not sure how long it takes though...
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

MikeC wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:43 pm GrantB & Andries Vorster both told me that Nitro clear coat yellows anyway with UV light. Not sure how long it takes though...
Longer than I want.

Currently dreaming up a home-made cold smoker big enough for a set-neck guitar. Saw an interesting technique for smoked yoghurt that I think I could use.

Reckon it has to be tobacco smoke?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Although that is the legitimate and coolest way to age a finish, a drop of yellow and brown tint into the clear will be better for your health and the guitar.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:51 pm

Although that is the legitimate and coolest way to age a finish, a drop of yellow and brown tint into the clear will be better for your health and the guitar.
Thanks, do you have any particular tints you recommend? Yellow food colouring?

And I presume erring on the side of light tints is best?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

StewMac tints are great.

I think we need a conversation over the phone and I can work through The detail with you. I have tints available and happy to donate a few mls, but logistics will be a challenge I’m assuming?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:47 pm StewMac tints are great.

I think we need a conversation over the phone and I can work through The detail with you. I have tints available and happy to donate a few mls, but logistics will be a challenge I’m assuming?
A call sounds good when you get a chance. No rush. 0212332286

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Nothing wrong with a couple of blokes donating a few mls to each other. Tho logistics can be challenging from what I've heard.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:14 pm

Nothing wrong with a couple of blokes donating a few mls to each other. Tho logistics can be challenging from what I've heard.
I’m giving the mls, just to be clear.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

The locally acquired stuff just isn't giving me the effect I wanted, Ants.