Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Any Great Guitar Painters Out There?

Post by dayl »

Hi Guys,

I'm restoring my Wolfgang and need to find someone to refinish the paint and clearcoat nitro etc etc. Need a high level as this is my baby.

Anyone in Auckland.... or NZ so long as they are legit and courier isnt a hassle. May nee binding done too if I can get it figured out.

Thanks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Any Great Guitar Painters Out There?

Post by jeremyb »

No suggestions, but great to have you back on the forum bro!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I don't know anyone anymore doing this. I still do my stuff but I'm out for other peeps sorry (no use to you...apologies)

But what I wanted to say was, if you do find someone just expect it to take a long time. The weather is not ideal for painting and it's always better to have nitro harden more ahead of final polishing etc.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:15 am I don't know anyone anymore doing this. I still do my stuff but I'm out for other peeps sorry (no use to you...apologies)

But what I wanted to say was, if you do find someone just expect it to take a long time. The weather is not ideal for painting and it's always better to have nitro harden more ahead of final polishing etc.
I've had an air compressor for the best part of a month. Rained literally every day here until yesterday. Humidity generally sitting above 90%. Hoping to have a few coats this weekend!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Andries on the shore is the only guy I know with a full spray booth for nitro etc.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:20 am Andries on the shore is the only guy I know with a full spray booth for nitro etc.
Last I heard he was charging $750 for a spray, not including removal of existing finish.

Which I think is very reasonable.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

dayl wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:30 pm Hi Guys,

I'm restoring my Wolfgang and need to find someone to refinish the paint and clearcoat nitro etc etc. Need a high level as this is my baby.

Anyone in Auckland.... or NZ so long as they are legit and courier isnt a hassle. May nee binding done too if I can get it figured out.

Thanks
GrantB, highly recommended by moi. I got lucky I guess, maybe it was the Trinity amp I built for him?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:31 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:20 am Andries on the shore is the only guy I know with a full spray booth for nitro etc.
Last I heard he was charging $750 for a spray, not including removal of existing finish.

Which I think is very reasonable.
So do I - and for something like a TV yellow finish for eg, it would need to around $900-$1000...for a primo job that is of course.

While we're on this...I'm seeing these dodgy as luthiers on YouTube "showing" how to do finish touch ups etc, and they're wayyy off the mark. Things like staining the wood on a Gibson (covering a stand burn), as opposed to matching the clear with tint and leaving the wood natural, like Gibson did ex factory, and blending it.

And a TV Yellow job on a REAL 1959 Special, that is truly awful....I'll try and find these. I feel sorry for the customers.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Thanks
dayl, have you got a shot of the guitar, up close-ish?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I'd love to see some pics of the guitar too 😊
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:04 am No suggestions, but great to have you back on the forum bro!!!
Cheers bro!

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

GrantB wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:59 pm

Thanks
dayl, have you got a shot of the guitar, up close-ish?
Im embarrased to show, but if you paint and want some skill cred, this is restoration channel back from the dead series worthy :oops: its really bad, the sealer was a mess and at the time I didnt realize that when hot air gunning the sides...heat goes under too :oops:

...I can pm you, just let me know what you need. the binding either crumbled or just solidified.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

AiRdAd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:22 pm I'd love to see some pics of the guitar too 😊
Im taking it back to as close to mint as possible.