murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

“Buffing” out - no clear coat….

Post by murky »

Gone and bought one of those Stew Mac mini guitars for the young one.

Mahogany.

Sealer and 3 nitro colour coats done (WPC rattle can). No filler - the grain depressions look great! Can’t be arsed with a clear coat. Colour coat looks good, but there’s a few overspray droplets here and there from spraying the edges (the WPC nozzle’s a little agricultural, and I forgot to heat the can beforehand).

What now? Light wet sand with 1200? Rag with cutting compound? Don’t own a proper buffer.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Re: “Buffing” out - no clear coat….

Post by Bg »

I'd just treat it like normal and give it a very light wet sanding then cutting compound... However, it won't take much to buff through 3 coats, hardly anything in fact, especially on the edges.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Synthetic 0000 steel wool?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Thanks guys. I’ve got some of that super fine 3m abrasive pad. Might try wet sanding with that.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

How long ago did you paint it? You may need to wait a while before sanding, as nitro paint can take a while to fully harden. Grant will be able to advise you :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

murky wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:14 pm Thanks guys. I’ve got some of that super fine 3m abrasive pad. Might try wet sanding with that.
I'd still take it very easily - half the reason for the topcoat is to protect sand through... you haven't got a topcoat.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

I’m doing between 8-15 coats of clear typically, as an indicator. And that’s on grain filled base.

Sand carefully. Colour coat will disappear quickly even with 1200.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

I'll chip-in what I always chip-in...

3M Trizact pads. All the way to 5000 grit. Knock the nibs off and even things out without too much risk of breaking through.

Been a long time since I refinished a guitar. Well, a year or two anyway. Used to enjoy the sanding part. You could listen for the sound shifting from rough to smooth as you took all the overspray off. Pretty therapeutic.

Then I'd sell it. :lol:

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Thanks for the advice guys!

Update: tested a patch with regular grade buffing paste - that was enough to take any roughness off, without any noticeable change in sheen.

Sprayed another couple of colour coats for good measure. Edges first, front and back last, so any overspray is mostly limited to the edges.

Have to say - soaked the can in some hot water before-hand. Made a HUGE difference to spray pattern and size of overspray droplets. Front and back probably won’t need any buffing.

Gonna let it sit for a week then re-visit.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

murky wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:00 pm

Have to say - soaked the can in some hot water before-hand. Made a HUGE difference to spray pattern and size of overspray droplets. Front and back probably won’t need any buffing.

Warming the can :thumbup:

I used to find I'd have to go back to it after a few weeks as it takes a long time to gas-off.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Just remember that the edges are usually the first to rub through as unless you pay lots of attention to them, there is less paint there. And there is a natural tendency to rock on the edges unless you use a sanding block etc.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Molly wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:17 pm
murky wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:00 pm

Warming the can :thumbup:

I used to find I'd have to go back to it after a few weeks as it takes a long time to gas-off.
+1

My current project looks great immediately after the last coat, but after a couple of weeks the imperfections start to show.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.