Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Bit of an acoustic thing

Post by badmotor »

Not meaning to make you self-conscious (or maybe I am? :rofl: ), but it's something I've been trying to sort out (kinda) when recording acoustic; taking deep breaths in between passages. I hear you doing it, and I do it alot and it gets picked up by the mic - made more promenant if you compress the guitar. Or maybe it just adds to the ambience (now it is all you are going to hear)?
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Yup, it’s a real problem. not sure what to do about it. I’m not breathing very loudly, (i don’t think) but I’m playing fingerstyle and softly too. Also I was concentrating hard, playing a part I wasn’t very familiar with.
I think maybe next time I track acoustic, I might try to be conscious and breathe quietly, see if it improves. When I record with a 57 it’s not an issue.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Bender might have something useful to add on the breathing issue?

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Delayman »

I like hearing breathing on solo guitar stuff, like classical guitar and Tommy Emmanuel's solo stuff. Not being argumentative as I haven't listened to the clip yet.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

I was thinking maybe something like this:

Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

bbrunskill wrote:Yup, it’s a real problem. not sure what to do about it. I’m not breathing very loudly, (i don’t think) but I’m playing fingerstyle and softly too. Also I was concentrating hard, playing a part I wasn’t very familiar with.
I think maybe next time I track acoustic, I might try to be conscious and breathe quietly, see if it improves. When I record with a 57 it’s not an issue.
I had that problem ALL THE TIME when I was doing the 365 riffs thing. Never found a solution other than trying to breathe quietly. If you find a better one, let me know! :D I wonder if you can filter out the breathing? Audacity has something like that, but it doesn't work terribly well.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Vince wrote:I had that problem ALL THE TIME when I was doing the 365 riffs thing.
have you had the mic pickup your ticking yet Vince? :lol:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I found a solution. I’m angling the mic downward 30 degrees or so, making my face/head more in the null (cardiod), and also I found that I breathe louder through my nose. I find it difficult to breathe through my mouth, (I’m a long term asthmatic) so I grabbed some bits of foam I had laying around and cut out nose plugs. They are porous enough so that I can breathe, and they cut down the noise significantly. Awkward, yes, I’m sure I look stupid, but it’s working and the guitars on the track sound seriously good.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Ha ha. That's cool.