Can live music affect us?

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

slosh
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Can live music affect us?

Post by slosh »

Hi everybody,
I'm conducting research on live bands playing at local pubs and clubs. The aim of this research is to examine the influence of live music and whether it affects patrons at their local pub. The main focus will be on the patrons reactions after the final song of the evening. For instance does the crowd become unruly and difficult to deal with for staff members at the end of the night when the last song the band played was say a number like Nirvanas 'Breed' as opposed to a song like Crowded Houses 'Better be Home Soon'? Feedback on this topic would be appreciated. cheers -Slosh
Last edited by slosh on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: Can live music affect us?

Post by rocklander »

I reckon that it isn't really that big of a difference. we invariably try to end on a big up beat one (leave them wanting more) but that is more because it is what the crowd would have wanted.
I guess it's a lil chicken and egg, but if we played a slower one they'd likely get all difficult and upset cos they want it upbeat, and when we play an upbeat one they get all difficult and raucous cos the upbeat song inspired them.. but they were in that mindset already.. waiting for it..
the big question is; is this something that bands have cultivated to be the 'expected norm' over the years? did we create this expectation, or was it always there?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Actually, it's a fact that covers bands are not allowed to play certain styles of music at the end of the night at Botany Cock and Bull.

We used to finish (as many covers bands do) with Killing in the Name Of by Rage Against the Machine but were told to play nothing but reggae for our final set (lol). Not having any reggae at all, we played a standard rock set minus the Rage song. Sure enough, someone got bottled and we were not asked back...

There is no doubt that playing an aggressive song to a room of pissed guys who have not managed to "pull" that night and have a lot of tension to get out will almost certainly result in a punch up.

These days my band finishes with some Kings of Leon which is a highlight without being overly aggro. People expect a big song to finish but doing Metallica, Rage or whatever is not a good idea.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

I'd expect, maybe eveen condone a crowd to become pretty unruly if the last song of the night was a song like 'better be home soon'.

I've been involved in a fair number of gigs this year and have yet to see a crowd be anything but happy and freindly after a gig.
We've run a series of gigs at a bar in ak recently and there has been a shooting at a drug house down the road and a massive drunken post function street brawl between members of the PI church on the corner. But our patrons have been nothing but well behaved.

In fact in my personal experience there hasn't been any trouble at a gig I've run since the Red Squad raided a gig out west in about 1981.

Looking back I can also say that despite the percieved hard edged nature of some music scenes I've been around over the years, the bands or the music itself have never been the cause for any negative crowd behavior. More often it has been heavy handed police action or youth gang elements who were out for trouble anyway that has caused trouble. Queen st riots being the biggest example of the former.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

sambrowne wrote:There is no doubt that playing an aggressive song to a room of pissed guys who have not managed to "pull" that night and have a lot of tension to get out will almost certainly result in a punch up.
You hit the nail on the head, Sam.

I have only witnessed one riot in my life and it was in the middle of Killing In The Name.

We only play that now if the crowd is cool. It's banned from one at least one bar in Christchurch. At another bar, we have to advise the manager before playing it so that he can get additional security to the dance floor.

So yes, live music can absolutely affect people. I would go as far as to say it affects people more than recorded music.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Capt. Black wrote:I'd expect, maybe eveen condone a crowd to become pretty unruly if the last song of the night was a song like 'better be home soon'.

I've been involved in a fair number of gigs this year and have yet to see a crowd be anything but happy and freindly after a gig.
Oh, thank goodness. I was starting to think that perhaps I live in some parallel universe.

I can't help but wonder at who is doing this research and how unbiased it is.
slosh wrote:Hi everybody,
I'm conducting research on live bands playing at local pubs and clubs. The aim of this research is to examine the influence of live music and how it affects patrons at their local pub.
You'll notice that the wording is "how it affects patrons" rather than "whether it affects patrons" Perhaps the word choice is unintentionally poor, perhaps this is just "research" designed to "prove" somebody's initial assumptions?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

I only get unruly if someone plays April Sun in Cuba - and it doesn't matter where in the set it comes...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Rickshaws used to play a few party gigs on the side with a mix of covers and originals. People can get mighty irked over stuff if you don't play a certain cover you're known for playing - in our case, it was either King of Leon's "Sex On Fire" or our Strokes/Christina Aguilera mash up "Stroke of Genius" (you'd be amazed how Genie In a Bottle lyrics fit over Hard To Explain!). Even though after a few gigs, we began to hate playing KOL, it was always the song people wanted us to encore with.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Capt. Black wrote:I'd expect, maybe even condone a crowd to become pretty unruly if the last song of the night was a song like 'better be home soon'.
Or... 'Closing Time' :lol:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

DarcyPerry wrote:Or... 'Closing Time' :lol:
We play Closing Time if the bar specifically wants people to leave. Not only do the words indicate that it's closing time, but the song sucks so much ass that people usually head for the door in disgust.

Top notch stuff.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I think ol Zakk's I Hate Your Guts should be the last number...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Fler
Squier
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Fler »

I can't wait to see an epic booze brawl during a jazz gig.

It's interesting to note that in the metal community, over the years I've seen some brutal mosh pits and stuff but generally everyone's pretty well behaved...
(((Òran Mór

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I was discussing recently about how science has proven that everything in the universe resonates to musical frequences. Most objects resonate to the major scale, with a few being "relative" minor. Intervals between objects in the universe are also set out at the same intervals as musical scales.
All this would mean that the quantum universe is very musical place. It then stands to reason than music could have a very powerful effect on us, as our bodies would be comprised of sub-atomic particles that are also resonating to musical frequencies.

I have to do some reading to investigate what I was hearing in that conversation was accurate. If it is, it would be very interesting for us musicians to ponder. :?:

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

At our last gig we finished with Wonderwall and then the bar owner wanted an encore request from a patron...... Enter Sandman. Didn't notice any hugs swapped for punches. Pretty cosmopolitan crowd there tho.

I've played some pretty wild gigs where you do wonder...........
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Fler
Squier
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Fler »

Aquila Rosso wrote:I was discussing recently about how science has proven that everything in the universe resonates to musical frequences. Most objects resonate to the major scale, with a few being "relative" minor. Intervals between objects in the universe are also set out at the same intervals as musical scales.
All this would mean that the quantum universe is very musical place. It then stands to reason than music could have a very powerful effect on us, as our bodies would be comprised of sub-atomic particles that are also resonating to musical frequencies.

I have to do some reading to investigate what I was hearing in that conversation was accurate. If it is, it would be very interesting for us musicians to ponder. :?:
I found this sorta stuff out by just being a bit oh a spiritual hippie. It's all just vibrations, man.
(((Òran Mór