Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 762 times
Been liked: 532 times

Basic audio / video recording for youtube

Post by Zaulkin »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of grabbing some basic recording equipment for youtube stuff. I already have a Canon SX100IS camera and a good tripod... The camera is designed for taking photos but the video recording function works ok. The audio is average, passable for this kind of job even, but it picks up a tonne of room noises that I don't want. The other problem is that it can't be operated from my computer which means the hassle of having to record, connect to pc, copy over, test video, and then sync to audio if I'm using something other than the cameras microphone. Bought something called 'Easycap' which is supposed to let me use my camera as if it were a webcam, but I can't get it going.

I guess what I'm really looking for is:
- Average to good quality video and audio
- Being able to record direct/without a mic is a bonus because I can then do a few takes at night without turning up the amp etc.
- Being able to record video + Audio at the same time is handy because I remember having trouble syncing stuff up in the past.
- Cheap as possible

Perhaps I should consider getting an HD webcam and an audio interface? What do you guys use/recommend and how much does this stuff cost? If I'm going to save a shitload by just using and living with what I've got already then that might be what I'll do... Just considering some options.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7928 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Re: Basic audio / video recording for youtube

Post by jeremyb »

Can you plug the canon in via usb and use it as a webcam? a lot of them you can, then have the audio recording via another interface, most apps will let you choose a different input :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

Check out the Zoom Q3 or Zoom Q3HD - both available on eBay.
Great devices!
I have the Q3... and it's gone down in price since the Q3HD came out.
You looking at (roughly) USD $150 plus pp for th3 Q3 and USD $300 plus pp for the Q3HD.
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

jeremyb wrote:Can you plug the canon in via usb and use it as a webcam? a lot of them you can, then have the audio recording via another interface, most apps will let you choose a different input :)
Nope, I wish it was that easy. The canon sx100 doesn't have that capability, which is why I bought Easycap which connects to the cameras A/V as if my PC were a TV and you control it from there. Couldn't get the easycap thing to work though...

Thanks bluesbass, I'll check out the zoom.

CJ
Ashton
Ashton

Post by CJ »

bluesbass wrote:Check out the Zoom Q3 or Zoom Q3HD - both available on eBay.
Great devices!
I have the Q3... and it's gone down in price since the Q3HD came out.
You looking at (roughly) USD $150 plus pp for the Q3 and USD $300 plus pp for the Q3HD.
+1 on the zoom. I have a Q3HD. The only bugs I have with it is the use of AA batteries (so I use rechargeables), the default file format is .MOV so windows media player doesn't play them and neither does my TV without converting. It's also pretty fussy which SD card you can use with it.
The accessory pack wasn't available when I got mine. I might get one as finding compatible connection leads for Audio out or HD out has been difficult.
It has a built in USB connection and software specifically for direct download to YouTube.

I have seen similar items available in NZ. Can't remember if it was Tascam or Fostex that makes something that compares.
I didn't get where I am today by understanding humour.......

Andy_Chandler
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Andy_Chandler »

I just got a Logitech full HD webcam the other week from pbtech, $100, 1080p video recording, stereo mics - the sound aint half bad, but im recording audio through cubase anyway, so that makes that irrelevant. Avoid the Microsoft Lifecam like the plague - I bought one first, returned it the next day, although it advertises itself as 1080p, you need 3rd party software to record in 1080, and even then you're lucky to get 15fps, so you cant see anything as far as what fingers are doing etc. the Logitech C910 is great.
http://www.andhechandler.com
Endorsements : Ibanez Guitars, Macbeth Footwear.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

sounds like it would be just the job for a quick hand shandy on chat roulette too! :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Andy_Chandler wrote:I just got a Logitech full HD webcam the other week from pbtech, $100, 1080p video recording, stereo mics - the sound aint half bad, but im recording audio through cubase anyway, so that makes that irrelevant. Avoid the Microsoft Lifecam like the plague - I bought one first, returned it the next day, although it advertises itself as 1080p, you need 3rd party software to record in 1080, and even then you're lucky to get 15fps, so you cant see anything as far as what fingers are doing etc. the Logitech C910 is great.
I have a Logitech C510 and it does 720p at 30 fps ok but the sound is not so good. What is the third party software? Can your Cubase record the video signal from the webcam while you are multitracking audio, or do you sync them up afterwards?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Andy_Chandler wrote:I just got a Logitech full HD webcam the other week from pbtech, $100, 1080p video recording, stereo mics - the sound aint half bad, but im recording audio through cubase anyway, so that makes that irrelevant. Avoid the Microsoft Lifecam like the plague - I bought one first, returned it the next day, although it advertises itself as 1080p, you need 3rd party software to record in 1080, and even then you're lucky to get 15fps, so you cant see anything as far as what fingers are doing etc. the Logitech C910 is great.
That's the webcam I had in mind, thanks for letting me know its good. I used to have a lifecam vx6000 or something which was awful!
BG wrote:sounds like it would be just the job for a quick hand shandy on chat roulette too! :)
lol, so that WAS you!

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

BG wrote:sounds like it would be just the job for a quick hand shandy on chat roulette too! :)
I LOL'd! But that did bring back bad memories of trying that site out....
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

Another one whos seen me knocking one out for free, awesome. Perhaps I should get a better cam?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Nah it looked a lot hotter being all fuzzy, you just needed to use more zoom :wink:
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

I've got the Logitech Pro9000 Webcam - it's a great little camera. For YouTube? 720 is plenty... The supplied software has a nice trick whereby you can capture the video, and then select the sound source ie, built in mic your "real soundcard"... which is good for live videos. If you want to multitrack or overdub, well, I guess you could record a click track or similar at the beginning of the video to sync up, and edit that out later before uploading...
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Those of you who have audio interfaces... What do you use? I used to have an M-Box 2 Mini which worked pretty well until I got windows 7. I think this might be the way to go especially considering I'll be playing over backing tracks a lot.

I have no idea what I'm looking for in terms of specs though. This guy on youtube uses a Presonus Firebox and seems to have a pretty decent sound.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgJgM-5x3KU[/youtube]

As long as I can find something cheap that has a mic and direct input that would be a good start. I've got a camera for video, and can upgrade that to a webcam if syncing is a bitch.