Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Garageband

Post by jeremyb »

Anyone here using it? It came free on my macbook and I'm learning my way around it, I guess when / if I find its limitations I will get logic, but in the meantime it seems pretty good :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Garageband

Post by willow13 »

nah when we got or latest imac it wasn't free so I haven't bothered with it (had it on our old mac and it was pretty cool)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

Agreed...it's simple, and for a guru like Ben it would likely seem rudimentary at best. For me, it works well.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

I quite like it, it takes a while to find your way around and, well it did for me anyway. You can record multiple channels at once with ease and the guitar amp simulator is quite good for a play. I found like with most things when i first got into apple gear you tend to over think things trying to adjust settings and navigate your way around, usually its so straight foward its right in front of you.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Almost seemed a little too simple, if thats possible? I bought Logic and I can work with that much easier.
Loving it so far

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

It's really good, but very easy to hit the limits of. That's not necessarily a problem of course. I used to use that for roughing out ideas, but got frustrated that I couldn't easily export from it to finish in another application. The iOS version is really excellent too. Logic is retardedly good value. I've been using Pro Tools pretty much full time since 1998 so it's exceptionally hard for me to consider anything else.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

I wrote the first few SFTS songs using garage band, it's not bad. But Logic is such an amazing song writer's tool.
If you got a bit of time to learn it, and a few dollars spare to throw at Logic Pro X, do it.
Ummm....

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

My brother also swears by Logic, I use Reaper (which I paid for). From memory, Garageband is based on Logic to some extent.

Garageband is excellent for what it is, but if you're going to consider recording regularly and want to take time to learn your craft, you're better off starting with a decent DAW that won't ultimately limit what you can do. But if you just want quick and easy, Garageband.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Danger Mouse wrote: Garageband is excellent for what it is, but if you're going to consider recording regularly and want to take time to learn your craft, you're better off starting with a decent DAW that won't ultimately limit what you can do. But if you just want quick and easy, Garageband.
agree 100% i only poked my nose around briefly but having experience on a few other platforms i got annoyed quickly..went back to reaper.old dog/new tricks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

sopachrga wrote:I wrote the first few SFTS songs using garage band, it's not bad. But Logic is such an amazing song writer's tool.
If you got a bit of time to learn it, and a few dollars spare to throw at Logic Pro X, do it.
I'm just a little concerned about the complexity of using it, garageband seems really straightforward, at least to get me off the ground and writing SOMETHING so I can progress from there :congrats:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Yeah fair enough. There is nothing in Garageband that will hold you back at that stage.
It's not until you start getting in to editing that it becomes a bit more obvious where the limits are.
Ummm....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

sopachrga wrote:Yeah fair enough. There is nothing in Garageband that will hold you back at that stage.
It's not until you start getting in to editing that it becomes a bit more obvious where the limits are.
Mmmm I just need to actually start doing something with a simple tool so I don't get too disparaged :grump:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:
sopachrga wrote:Yeah fair enough. There is nothing in Garageband that will hold you back at that stage.
Mmmm I just need to actually start doing something with a simple tool so I don't get too disparaged :grump:
The thing is, a full function DAW is really daunting when you first load it up and it seems like you need a relevant PhD just to get the guitar to record in a single track, but if you spent one weekend with your chosen DAW and some youtube vids, you will discover they are really actually very simple to use. There's loads of cool stuff you can do that people like Ben will appreciate, but you don't need to know or understand that until later.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

jeremyb wrote:
Garageband has the added advantage of costing $0.

Have a crack with it- if/when you hit the limits, buy Logic X (it can load Garageband projects).

To be perfectly honest, there's not much that I do when writing music in Pro Tools that Garageband can't do. It's only the mixing and editing side of things where I need more grunt.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:
ib;jb

Sort of
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster