nburf
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 83 times

We released a single starring my old archtop

Post by nburf »

Okay, definitely not starring but it's there..

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Re: We released a single starring my old archtop

Post by MikeC »

Great song, in every way.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

nburf
Stagg
Stagg

Post by nburf »

MikeC wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:12 pm Great song, in every way.
Thanks mate, really appreciate it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Gave it a like; I was just off to have dinner. I particularly enjoyed your playing and the archtop sounded perfect for the arrangement. What is it?

Well done!
Keep doing it. :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

nburf
Stagg
Stagg

Post by nburf »

Slowy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:40 pm Gave it a like; I was just off to have dinner. I particularly enjoyed your playing and the archtop sounded perfect for the arrangement. What is it?

Well done!
Keep doing it. :thumbup:
Thanks heaps mate, really means a lot. The archtop is a 1936 epiphone apollo, its one I posted about a while ago on here.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Lovely song and neat playing on that Apollo. Almost looks like it has the original frets, so tiny they are...

What is the 1931 reference?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

nburf
Stagg
Stagg

Post by nburf »

Jay wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:26 pm Lovely song and neat playing on that Apollo. Almost looks like it has the original frets, so tiny they are...

What is the 1931 reference?
Cheers mate. I think they might be original, probably needs a refret at this point. They are quiet low and as you said very tiny. It still intonates correctly but I imagine it could be a bit more forgiving with a refret.

1931 is what we've named our album because we ended up writing a few historical songs and found by chance that a bunch of them were about events that happened in 1931. For the short of it theres:

The Tunnel - a song about the story of Phyllis Simmons who was murdered during the building of the Vic Tunnel
Eve of 31 - a song about the napier earthquake
Goodbye Tuscon - a song about Winnie Ruth Judd who we found in a distant ancestors book of my partners. She was famous for reportedly murdering two people, chopping them up and carrying them from arizona to LA on an overnight train in her luggage

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Great song, great playing. Lead vocals amazing... wow, she can sing! love the harmonies too.

nburf
Stagg
Stagg

Post by nburf »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:44 am Great song, great playing. Lead vocals amazing... wow, she can sing! love the harmonies too.
Cheers mate. Yeah no pretending her voice isn't the star of the show! We were playing at auckland folk festival one time with a bunch of old blues guys I've been playing with my whole life. After singing lead on a few songs I got her to sing a few. One of them looked at me afterwards and said "you better learn how to sing harmonies" haha.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

nburf wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:37 am We were playing at auckland folk festival one time with a bunch of old blues guys I've been playing with my whole life.
Mr Young and Mr Heath by any chance?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

nburf
Stagg
Stagg

Post by nburf »

Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 am
nburf wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:37 am We were playing at auckland folk festival one time with a bunch of old blues guys I've been playing with my whole life.
I think there was a Mr Al Young there, if that's who you mean, but it was a Mr Craw who said it. He never has been gentle with his opinion about anything!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

nburf wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:25 am
I think there was a Mr Al Young there, if that's who you mean, but it was a Mr Craw who said it. He never has been gentle with his opinion about anything!
Al Young indeed. Another gentleman who has never been gentle with his opinion about anything. :lol:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 4.48.10 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

nburf
Stagg
Stagg

Post by nburf »

Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 pm

Al Young indeed. Another gentleman who has never been gentle with his opinion about anything. :lol:
:lol: Very true. Must be the journalist in him.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

nburf wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:35 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 pm

:lol: Very true. Must be the journalist in him.
"Here's a little Blues number that celebrates the Winchester method for dispute resolution."