Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Publishing your music

Post by Jay »

Don't know if there is such thread already...

What do you guys use apart from youtube? Does it get you the exposure you were hoping for?

Interested to hear from people who have used Spotify and other similar paid services...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Publishing your music

Post by griff »

We're about to release a single. Our focus is Spotify and a YouTube link to a lyric video at the moment.
Bandcamp will come later if we want to sell merchandise or audio downloads.
As far as promotion, we aim to gig as much as possible and post on Facebook and gonna open an Instagram account. It's all a bit of a learning curve for us to be honest man.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

griff wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:34 am We're about to release a single. Our focus is Spotify and a YouTube link to a lyric video at the moment.
Bandcamp will come later if we want to sell merchandise or audio downloads.
As far as promotion, we aim to gig as much as possible and post on Facebook and gonna open an Instagram account. It's all a bit of a learning curve for us to be honest man.
How do you find the process to get your single on Spotify?

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

I'm not involved with that, I do the video side of things. I can ask my band mates if you like. But I'm sure a Google search will give you what you need

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Distrokid has gotta be the easiest and cheapest way to get stuff out there on the streaming platforms!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:09 am Distrokid has gotta be the easiest and cheapest way to get stuff out there on the streaming platforms!
Yeah, had a look at that. I am just wondering what playtime you would achieve with just one single out...
Edit probably once every blue moon :)

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Yeah that's the one, Distrokid I think is what the guys are using

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:28 am
jeremyb wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:09 am Distrokid has gotta be the easiest and cheapest way to get stuff out there on the streaming platforms!
Yeah, had a look at that. I am just wondering what playtime you would achieve with just one single out...
Edit probably once every blue moon :)
Depends on your audience, if it’s the youth then you need to be on TikTok, if it’s boomers then targeted ads on Facebook, and so forth :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

griff wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:50 am Yeah that's the one, Distrokid I think is what the guys are using
Have a read of ditto

https://dittomusic.com/en/ditto-music-v ... gJm6fD_BwE

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Jay wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:30 pm
griff wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:50 am Yeah that's the one, Distrokid I think is what the guys are using
Have a read of ditto

Oooh - I use CDbaby and DistroKid, but Ditto looks fantastic. I wonder if there's any way to transfer your songs from DistroKid to Ditto, without losing your play stats?

Also... manually targeted platforms are a very interesting subject and worth testing and exploring. For example my electronic project gets over 5000 plays a month on Soundcloud, but only a few hundred on Spotify, Apple Music and Bandcamp etc. So for whatever reason our audience seems to be almost exclusively on Soundcloud. We did no promotion or anything, it's just grown that way. Recommend you just put your music everywhere and see what happens!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:56 pm
Jay wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:30 pm
Have a read of ditto

Oooh - I use CDbaby and DistroKid, but Ditto looks fantastic. I wonder if there's any way to transfer your songs from DistroKid to Ditto, without losing your play stats?

Also... manually targeted platforms are a very interesting subject and worth testing and exploring. For example my electronic project gets over 5000 plays a month on Soundcloud, but only a few hundred on Spotify, Apple Music and Bandcamp etc. So for whatever reason our audience seems to be almost exclusively on Soundcloud. We did no promotion or anything, it's just grown that way. Recommend you just put your music everywhere and see what happens!
Does SoundCloud pay you something?

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Jay wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:50 pm Does SoundCloud pay you something?
Only if you have the 'Pro Unlimited' artist subscription which is whatever it is ($12-13 a month or something?), then you can monetize your tracks. We might get half that back in royalties if we're lucky, but we're in it for the other benefits. Well I am anyway, it's charging to my credit card :lol:

They have a "low and high contributor" super-user type scheme where you get more for people devoting their time on the platform to your music (and if they're also paying subscribers). This is something Spotify should implement.

If someone clicks on an advert while listening to your song, you should get a cut, especially if they buy anything - but nup, Spotify just pays you 0.000013 or whatever for the single stream - divided by the number of songs on the platform, so the per-stream pot gets smaller each year.

Similarly, if a Spotify subscriber spends most of their time on the platform listening to your music, in fairness you should get a cut of their subscription payment.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

I used Distrokid. Shit UI. Does the job I suppose. I resented them, but I think that was a reflection of my passionate hatred of Spotify. We barely covered the fees so Bandcamp was our only source of actual revenue. YMMV and all that.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Ok...I'm in the right place now. Ty Jay for the directions.

Dotto seem a good contender, but I'm leaning towards these guys https://drm.co.nz/. Mainly as they are based NZ.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:10 am … but I think that was a reflection of my passionate hatred of Spotify. We barely covered the fees so Bandcamp was our only source of actual revenue. YMMV and all that.
Yep. Same experience here. I’d have to check but I think I’m sitting at around 0.001c per stream from Spotify.