Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Rhodes piano pre-amp (pedal builders??)

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Ok so weird thread ...

Im taking long term loan of a really cool 70s rhodes stage electric piano
Its a totally electromechanical passive instrument and ill likely play it at home thru a guitar amp. So just to be clear its like a giant 100lb electric guitar with 73 pickups.
most of the forums also talk about a preamp either for recording or even if still going into an amp.
There seem to be some specific requirements in terms of impedence etc to to get the best out of the rhodes....
I wonder if any of the pedal builders here or those in the know would have any idea of available pedals or preamps that would fit the bill OR be intersted in building something?

There are some hefty rabbit holes on the subject on the net but i dont consider myself preamp/keys qualified enough to know where to start.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Rhodes piano pre-amp (pedal builders??)

Post by vinylguy »

I saw one of these in cash converters here about 3 years ago and was sorely tempted (I dont play keys and havent a clue), but it was such a cool looking thing. Reminded me of that scene in The Blues Brothers with Ray Charles....

I thought you just plugged them into a guitar amp ?

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

vinylguy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:23 am I saw one of these in cash converters here about 3 years ago and was sorely tempted (I dont play keys and havent a clue), but it was such a cool looking thing. Reminded me of that scene in The Blues Brothers with Ray Charles....

I love that scene so much

“I do t think there’s anything wrong with the action on this keyboard …..”

I’ll throw in the black keys for free.

Yep you do just plug it into a guitar amp. But….
1. If you want to DI it or plug into recording interface
2. There is a school of thought that say a preamp before the guitar amp is the way to go
3. There are some ways that the impedance on the Rhodes preamp emphasizes the desirable tones and suppresses others … I don’t know enough about it but a quick trawl thru the internet while I was on call over night eluded to that….

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Maybe just a clean boost pedal like the TC Spark would give you enough beast whilst keeping the clarity of the original toan? they have an extra 26db at full noise :-) plus they will change the impedance to make it suitable for going into a guitar amp or interface :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Ants you should try the pedal I left with you on Thursday. Not sure about input impedance but should do a good job as a slightly warm, natural-sounding preamp.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:27 am
vinylguy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:23 am I saw one of these in cash converters here about 3 years ago and was sorely tempted (I dont play keys and havent a clue), but it was such a cool looking thing. Reminded me of that scene in The Blues Brothers with Ray Charles....

2. There is a school of thought that say a preamp before the guitar amp is the way to go
3. There are some ways that the impedance on the Rhodes preamp emphasizes the desirable tones and suppresses others … I don’t know enough about it but a quick trawl thru the internet while I was on call over night eluded to that….
Hard to say without having the beast in front of you. It might not a guitar pedal type of preamp (which tend to be more about tone shaping- emulating the preamp section of an amp), but maybe more like a microphone or piezo preamp (impedance/buffering). I used to use a contact mic for recording sound effects years ago, and that absolutely had to be run through a piezo preamp or it really suffered. Anything for an acoustic instrument might do the trick.

I have a Sansamp Bass DI that would also be worth a try.

Otherwise, a Neve style mic preamp would be the tits.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

Wow that is so freaking cool. Lucky you!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

bender wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:03 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:27 am

Hard to say without having the beast in front of you. It might not a guitar pedal type of preamp (which tend to be more about tone shaping- emulating the preamp section of an amp), but maybe more like a microphone or piezo preamp (impedance/buffering). I used to use a contact mic for recording sound effects years ago, and that absolutely had to be run through a piezo preamp or it really suffered. Anything for an acoustic instrument might do the trick.

I have a Sansamp Bass DI that would also be worth a try.

Otherwise, a Neve style mic preamp would be the tits.
Yeh I think this is the thing, guitar pedal stuff doesnt seem to do the trick. There are clip on preamps for them that run around $245 USD.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Mosfet wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:00 pm Wow that is so freaking cool. Lucky you!
Yes!
Im picking it up at thanksgiving dinner at his tonight. He is one of the band so there is a bit of back and forth with gear....

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I LOVE a fender rhodes. you're a lucky chap. Some models have a preamp. If it doesn't you could use a clean boost type thing to juice it, but back in the day they would just plug it in a Fender amp and go. Plenty of tremolo is highly recommended

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

If you're wanting to record with it, I think the Iridium would be the tits. A Blackface preamp, little bit of stereo room effect, ability to disable speaker emulation... Hmmmmm
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

Keep it simple. Remember, they did not have pre-amp pedals back then.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

Litterick wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:03 pm Keep it simple. Remember, they did not have pre-amp pedals back then.

Didn’t have home recording interfaces, software or computers of any sort either!

I guess it depends on what you’re trying to do with it?

Just jam some tunes with mates, then straight into an amp, old school, as they did, but then into your computer…something in between!

If they’re made to go straight into an amp, then any device designed to take a guitar signal into an interface should work surely?

Sansamp and the like would be a good place to start…

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I found this unit online:
https://www.avionstudios.com/rhodes/retroflyer

This video does a good job of selling it
https://www.avionstudios.com/videos/jul ... retroflyer