Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Home recording advice

Post by Olderama »

Hi all
I'm pulling my socks up and looking at getting into recording my ideas
Firstly I have about a grand and would it be feasible to get a apple product and an interface for that price?

If not I can stick with windows and just get an interface but I'm keen of trying an apple product t as I've never ventured down that route
It will be mainly guitar but would venture into keyboard based (slamming dub lol)
I'm looking at a Volt 1 for the interface and is that over kill?
:mental:

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Re: Home recording advice

Post by NippleWrestler »

There's no real reason to go Apple, and if you get the Volt 1 at $300 NZD that leaves you with $700 for some sort of Apple device. I don't see the benefit personally when everything works perfectly well on Windows.

That interface is fine. It doesn't look any better or worse than anything else, but bear in mind the Volt 1 only has 1 input at a time, which might not matter now but might later. My vote for quick and easy and quality interfaces goes to the Arturia Minifuse 2 which has 2 ins/outs so you can record 2 tracks simultaneously (great for singer/songwriter stuff, micing guitar cabs, more than one voice etc), and it also comes with a shitload of bundled software. I did use Audient stuff in the past but find their updates to be bloaty and actually bricked my unit (an iD4) and then Audient were zero help so they're out of my future.

For keyboardy things you'll just want a midi keyboard with your preferred number of keys, and you'll also need a synth plugin to actually make noise out of the midi tracks - the Arturia I mentioned above comes with a whole host of these as Arturia is firstly a synth company.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

I can't give you recording advice but I have this setup for sale. It's essentially brand new and only ever used for testing. All online manuals have been printed commercially and bound. I'm open to a reasonable offer :) https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=dbxNZMIc
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Olderama »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:33 am There's no real reason to go Apple, and if you get the Volt 1 at $300 NZD that leaves you with $700 for some sort of Apple device. I don't see the benefit personally when everything works perfectly well on Windows.

That interface is fine. It doesn't look any better or worse than anything else, but bear in mind the Volt 1 only has 1 input at a time, which might not matter now but might later. My vote for quick and easy and quality interfaces goes to the Arturia Minifuse 2 which has 2 ins/outs so you can record 2 tracks simultaneously (great for singer/songwriter stuff, micing guitar cabs, more than one voice etc), and it also comes with a shitload of bundled software. I did use Audient stuff in the past but find their updates to be bloaty and actually bricked my unit (an iD4) and then Audient were zero help so they're out of my future.

For keyboardy things you'll just want a midi keyboard with your preferred number of keys, and you'll also need a synth plugin to actually make noise out of the midi tracks - the Arturia I mentioned above comes with a whole host of these as Arturia is firstly a synth company.
Thanks heaps for that I've had a look and the bundled software looks good and covers guitar and keyboard

Might as well get a keyboard whilst I'm at it

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Olderama »

MikeC wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:34 am I can't give you recording advice but I have this setup for sale. It's essentially brand new and only ever used for testing. All online manuals have been printed commercially and bound. I'm open to a reasonable offer :) https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=dbxNZMIc
Thanks Mike I'll probably go with the minifuse after I've done my you tube reviews ect
Thanks for the offer :thumbup:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

MikeC wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:34 am I can't give you recording advice but I have this setup for sale. It's essentially brand new and only ever used for testing. All online manuals have been printed commercially and bound. I'm open to a reasonable offer :) https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=dbxNZMIc
PreSonus make awesome hardware, and Studio One is a really nice DAW to use, I have a course I bought and downloaded on using it if you're interested I can send you a link :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

I’ve got an Akai Midi keyboard for sale for cheap, bought it for my Son who never showed much interest unfortunately.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Out of curiosity, why the Apple device? You could get a mac mini (old) but really theres no strong pro and I've used both for over 20 years.
I did find OSX less likely to crash and keep folders tidy though.

Not much to add other than secondhand is the way to go, get something with a few outputs you can assign so you can re-amp later down the track, and dont worry about monitoring for now.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Olderama »

Kris wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:53 am Out of curiosity, why the Apple device? You could get a mac mini (old) but really theres no strong pro and I've used both for over 20 years.

Not much to add other than secondhand is the way to go, get something with a few outputs you can assign so you can re-amp later down the track, and dont worry about monitoring for now.
The apple interest is purely that I've always seen peoples using them for music recording.
But that's all :thumbup:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Olderama wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:44 am
Kris wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:53 am Out of curiosity, why the Apple device? You could get a mac mini (old) but really theres no strong pro and I've used both for over 20 years.

The apple interest is purely that I've always seen peoples using them for music recording.
But that's all :thumbup:
Windows PC did just fine for me for the longest time. I finally switched over because I wanted to do something with the Kemper and my interface. It was a total PITA on Windows, and worked easily on the Mac.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

FWIW, because i know what i need i was able to get a 20 dollar imac- paired it with zoom r16 and have a low cost 8 tracking solution at my jam shed. The low spec of the imac isnt an issue as all it does is give me a visual UI of the tracks being recorded into reaper and i then process the raw tracks at home on my grunty system.
Just a case where apple wins for a low cost solution heh
Also,class compliant means most devices are plug and play