Post by StrummersOfThunder »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:16 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:54 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:17 pm Wireless Broadband

https://one.nz/broadband/wireless-broadband/

https://www.spark.co.nz/online/broadban ... y=wireless

Starlink

https://www.starlink.com/service-plans? ... gImkPD_BwE

Starlink is an unecessary increase in cost, if mobile data coverage and speed are excellent.
Wait hang on
I don’t want to get more plans etc I just want to the hot spotting capability of my phone and route that to the digital music streamer somehow
Man, I didn't read the original question properly, ok you just need something capable of being a wireless bridge, so a basic wifi range extender with an ethernet port should work: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETTPL ... N300---1-x

It will have a web management interface where you'll be able to get it to join to your hotspot :-)

*edit* looks like Hamo already suggested this... :rofl:
Yep yep yep !

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: hifi / networking geeks please

Post by Danger Mouse »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:54 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:17 pm Wireless Broadband

https://one.nz/broadband/wireless-broadband/

https://www.spark.co.nz/online/broadban ... y=wireless

Starlink

https://www.starlink.com/service-plans? ... gImkPD_BwE

Starlink is an unecessary increase in cost, if mobile data coverage and speed are excellent.
Wait hang on
I don’t want to get more plans etc I just want to the hot spotting capability of my phone and route that to the digital music streamer somehow
Ah yes apologies, I assumed you didn't want a home wifi solution just because of fixed line availability and performance. Looks all sorted though.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I just use an iFi Bluetooth for exactly what you describe. We have the same scenario. You will simply go out of the iFi into the amp RCA inputs for the Amp.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1316 times

GrantB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:29 pm I just use an iFi Bluetooth for exactly what you describe. We have the same scenario. You will simply go out of the iFi into the amp RCA inputs for the Amp.
Yep totally doable
I just dont know then if its worth running quboz tho as I doubt id get the same audio quality via bluetooth. Lets not start the 'does it matter cos youre smooshed old ears wont know the difference'....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:13 pm
GrantB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:29 pm I just use an iFi Bluetooth for exactly what you describe. We have the same scenario. You will simply go out of the iFi into the amp RCA inputs for the Amp.
Yep totally doable
I just dont know then if its worth running quboz tho as I doubt id get the same audio quality via bluetooth. Lets not start the 'does it matter cos youre smooshed old ears wont know the difference'....
Bluetooth audio is shit, avoid if you want anything close to hifi!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1316 times

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:26 pm
Yep totally doable
amen brutha

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yep totally doable
It’s no CD but I find the iFi to be adequate for streaming fun (admittedly I go into a Musical Fidelity DAC). I think everyone knows that vinyl and CDs are the proper way to enjoy music, but streaming occupies a convenience space with the other formats can’t.

I do occasionally stream .OGG and other lossless formats from my iphone via Bluetooth and it can be pretty engaging. DAC considered.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yep totally doable
Bluetooth is digital, not audio. How it converts to analog audio is where magic should happen.

But yeah, vs a good cd player, it’s chalk n cheese.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:34 pm

Yep totally doable
Bluetooth is digital, not audio. How it converts to analog audio is where magic should happen.

But yeah, vs a good cd player, it’s chalk n cheese.
The main issue with bluetooth audio is all the codecs are lossy, regardless of your source they're compressing and decompressing that audio stream and theres simply not enough bandwidth to do lossless :-(

Sure Bluetooth is convenient for in the car but any time now I listen with headphones I use wired in ears or over ears and a USB DAC and a lossless audio source :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:30 pm

Yep totally doable
It’s no CD but I find the iFi to be adequate for streaming fun (admittedly I go into a Musical Fidelity DAC). I think everyone knows that vinyl and CDs are the proper way to enjoy music, but streaming occupies a convenience space with the other formats can’t.

I do occasionally stream .OGG and other lossless formats from my iphone via Bluetooth and it can be pretty engaging. DAC considered.
Sadly the bluetooth part is compressing that lossless audio and making it lossy :-( Can the iFi stream directly from Apple Music or Tidal or somesuch?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Not “directly” / always via BT.

Nothing will beat a high quality cd player (or vinyl, but please can we not go there) and you’re right, Bluetooth compresses. A great DAC can help….but never fix totally.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 pm Not “directly” / always via BT.

Nothing will beat a high quality cd player (or vinyl, but please can we not go there) and you’re right, Bluetooth compresses. A great DAC can help….but never fix totally.
Lossless audio beats vinyl and CD, can you hear the difference? Possibly not.