Recommendations to service a Mesa mk IV?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 251 times

Recommendations to service a Mesa mk IV?

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I think Clarry serviced this about 15 years ago.

Pots are scratchy and dropping volume. In theory they should be capable of a clean but the Mesa amps are nightmares and the mark IVs no less so.

I also don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on someone who will be learning on the job.

Any recommendations? Auckland based

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Re: Recommendations to service a Mesa mk IV?

Post by NippleWrestler »

If it's just cleaning the pots you can do that yourself with great ease as mesa pots are all wired off board rather than soldered on like Marshall or Peavey.

Contact cleaner in the slot, give the pot a few turns with some gusto, then some electrical lubricant and you're done.

What else do you need? It's worth taking 20 minutes to do that yourself and then see how you go than paying the bench fee for a tech to do the easy stuff.

Mesas aren't difficult to work on, I've fixed about 5 or 6, unless it's a relay situation. Those are never fun and means the board needs to come out, most other components can be accessed top side... and a schematic greatly helps.

Godspeed.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:42 pm I think Clarry serviced this about 15 years ago.

Pots are scratchy and dropping volume. In theory they should be capable of a clean but the Mesa amps are nightmares and the mark IVs no less so.

I also don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on someone who will be learning on the job.

Has Clarry stopped fixing amps?

Last I knew he was still in business.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'd be asking the Rockshop who they use for their warranty stuff?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:07 pm
Kiwiaxe wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:42 pm I think Clarry serviced this about 15 years ago.

No idea but he was old last time!

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

NippleWrestler wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:14 pm If it's just cleaning the pots you can do that yourself with great ease as mesa pots are all wired off board rather than soldered on like Marshall or Peavey.

Contact cleaner in the slot, give the pot a few turns with some gusto, then some electrical lubricant and you're done.

What else do you need? It's worth taking 20 minutes to do that yourself and then see how you go than paying the bench fee for a tech to do the easy stuff.

Mesas aren't difficult to work on, I've fixed about 5 or 6, unless it's a relay situation. Those are never fun and means the board needs to come out, most other components can be accessed top side... and a schematic greatly helps.

Godspeed.
Hmm ok shall try that this weekend!

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:52 pm

I first met Clarry when I was around 25, back when he was in Mt Eden just before he relocated to Titirangi.
He looked a bit older than my dad, who was in his mid 50's at the time - I had him pegged at a few years either side of retirement age.

I'm 45 now, so I only presume he'd be well into his 70's. Last time I saw him was in 2016 and he'd definitely aged a bit, but seemed to have no intention of stopping work.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

The Scarecrow wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:46 am

I first met Clarry when I was around 25, back when he was in Mt Eden just before he relocated to Titirangi.
He looked a bit older than my dad, who was in his mid 50's at the time - I had him pegged at a few years either side of retirement age.

I'm 45 now, so I only presume he'd be well into his 70's. Last time I saw him was in 2016 and he'd definitely aged a bit, but seemed to have no intention of stopping work.
I definitely have not heard if he has stopped work. It should be front page news around here when he does, and I think we should give him an honorary lifetime Good Chap Award

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 299 times

Post by murky »

Ivan T at musicelectronicsrepair.co.nz

Some people find him a little direct. I like that he’s honest, straight to the point, and is qualified/more than happy to work on the tricky stuff. He’s fixed problems for me that others couldn’t. It’s his side hustle, so you may need to be patient.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:53 am
The Scarecrow wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:46 am

I definitely have not heard if he has stopped work. It should be front page news around here when he does, and I think we should give him an honorary lifetime Good Chap Award
I remember when I sold my last tube amp (now completely digital in both my rigs) and one of my thoughts was "I probably won't see Clarry again" :(
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

The Scarecrow wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:46 am I had him pegged.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Clarry answered the door for me when I last picked up a repair from him a couple weeks ago. Looked the same as he always did. Seemed to be walking and talking and everything.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Sorry, another thing. If you're cleaning the pots out properly you may as well do the tube sockets and jack sockets - anything that moves or a point of contact is an entrance for crud so give them a spray and a wiggle too. It's amazing sometimes how much you can fix up with a thorough clean, especially on older amps.

I did wonder if your filter caps are on their way out. They typically have a usage cycle of around 20 years and dropping volume, flubby bass, low gain are symptoms of them being past their best. Luckily these are also easy to change out (if you need to).

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by NZTone.e »

Saw a receipt from 34 audio for an amp service recently, name on it wasn’t Clarry, might rule them out with the “learning on the job” comment…

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 595 times

Post by godgrinder »

murky wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:56 am Ivan T at musicelectronicsrepair.co.nz

Some people find him a little direct. I like that he’s honest, straight to the point, and is qualified/more than happy to work on the tricky stuff. He’s fixed problems for me that others couldn’t. It’s his side hustle, so you may need to be patient.
Yeah I had good results from him with more complicated modern amps.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio