Vox? Marshall?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I've found with the Valvestates that the sound they produce varies hugely with the model of Valvstate you're plugged into.

I used to be good mates with a band in which both guitarists used Valvestates (a VS102R and an 8280). With 2x12 extension cabs, I don't think anyone would have considered their sound anything less than big, fat and ugly, they sounded great live. However, I've found that the lesser 30-40W models in the Valvestate range have been really disappointing and sound nothing like the higher wattage brothers.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

fraser

Post by fraser »

zdali wrote:IMHO, Marshall valvestates are highly overrated. Personally i'd go for a Valvetronix, and from that range an AD60VT or AD120VT. Couple of those i've played vere pretty good once you dial in the knobs. AD50VT and AD100VT fall in the same category as Valvestate.

On the tube front, i reckon you can't go wrong with Laney LC15 or LC15VC.

Or you could hang out on trademe for a rockit/jansen/holden/gunn valve amp which would be both louder and have better tone than the valvetronix/valvestate (YMMV, IMHO etc).

Another line to check out could be Line6 Spider2 series. Those seem to be able to dial in a large range of different tones and sound reasonable.
I'd love to pick one of those up, an AD60VT, but I have a feeling that they'd be out of my price range if the AD30VT is just in my price range.

I've looked at a few of the amps that have been mentioned, and forgot to tell you, that I really want an amp that has distortion on it, because I mostly play Metallica songs, but so far they've sounded crap with no distortion. Also, anyone know where a good, cheap place is for buying an amp? The only place I know of is MusicWorks or the Rockshop, but the Rockshop doesn't sell VOX amps.

fraser

Post by fraser »

I was looking at this amp,
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... d=85158087

Tell me what you guys think. :)

b
Stagg
Stagg

Post by b »

MusicPlanet up Queen St have all the Vox amps..

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

fraser wrote:I was looking at this amp,
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... d=85158087

Tell me what you guys think. :)
There are'nt many solid state amps in your price range that will sound as good or as be as versatile as the Valvetronix, they do metal just fine on the jcm2000 or mesa models. You can get a nice vox-ish crunch and pretty cleans too. The 30 wont keep up with a drummer, the 50 would. Either are great for around the house, and sound good thru headphones too.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

Well if you need distortion and volume to keep up with a drummer i reckon any of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... Region=100 will do :-)
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

zdali wrote:Well if you need distortion and volume to keep up with a drummer i reckon any of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... Region=100 will do :-)
Having heard DC's, I second that :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

fraser

Post by fraser »

That one looks sweet.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 121902.htm

Not sure about it though, 10 years old? 120W is awesome though. Does that thing have overdrive/distortion and all those other effects?

If you can't tell already, I've never bought an amp, or owned a proper guitar amp, so I have no clue about anything.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

It has overdrive - i.e. you crank it up :D They sound good with a bad monkey in front of you don't want that level of volume...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

They generally sell around $250-$300. I've had a couple of them and imo they're a pretty decent amp. Plenty of balls. I currently have the valve version - the Superlead 130. I think I'll hang onto it just for the hell of it.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

One warning.....

Wattage doesnt mean to much....a 30 watt valve amp can kill a 80-100 watt SS......I highly doubt u need anything bigger than a 30w tube amp.

I run my Classic 30 at 1.5 clean when i practice....knobs go to 12...
Do some research.....google is your friend
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Not always, mate.

My old guitarist had a vintage Marshall 100W halfstack and I was able to drown him out easily with my Fender Studio 85 (65W). Why? He use untold distortion and I played clean. Makes a HUGE difference.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

fraser

Post by fraser »

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 666512.htm

Not sure if I could get it shipped up to Auckland though.