Best 10 inch speakers?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ant
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Best 10 inch speakers?

Post by ant »

you have to decide if you want an american voiced speaker like jensen most eminence or british like celestion, that will help you narrow it down. Not many 10" british style speakers though, past or present

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Could someone elaborate on the differences in brit and american speaker voicings? I get it with amps but am totally clueless with speakers. I'm quite keen on putting together a 2x10 for my 5 watter (which I beleive is fender inspired?) and I'd like mellow and warm sounding speakers.

I'm a complete noob.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Rog wrote:What instrument?
Bass?
Keys?
Guitar?
Harmonica?
Vocals?
Violin?
nzg.jpg
nzg.jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Some Bozo wrote:
Rog wrote:What instrument?
Bass?
Keys?
Guitar?
Harmonica?
Vocals?
Violin?
nzg.jpg
so your trying to say....
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

Go to eminence speakers site and listen to there clips its pretty easy to hear the difference. Brit have a chimey sorta high mids + more crunch.
Could someone elaborate on the differences in brit and american speaker voicings? I get it with amps but am totally clueless with speakers. I'm quite keen on putting together a 2x10 for my 5 watter (which I beleive is fender inspired?) and I'd like mellow and warm sounding speakers.

I'm a complete noob.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Timoes »

I transplanted the stock Vox speaker from the AD30VT for an Eminence Redcoat Ramrod. The Redcoat series use a British cone and the rest is US built. Great sound upgrade. Gets a hidding too. I like the Eminence stuff. Huge range.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

I'm with you there on the Eminence thing...but experience only goes as far as the current Red Coat/Blue Coat or whatever it is thing....

Anyone try the Celestion 50 watt Gold AlNiCo yet? Heard some not so nice things....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Timoes »

Are the Celestion speakers as good as they once were? Fabrique en China.

I installed a Red Fang Alnico in the 18. A very beautifull thing.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Celestion still make speakers in the UK as far as I'm aware. The last 2 Blues I got in state Made in UK...but I suspect they were a year or 2 old.

I'm a big fan of Red Fang's and have w@nked on many a time about them in this forum...they aren't really a straight swap out for a Blue...they're probably best described as a modern day equivalent to the blue. There's more sparkle but possibly less woody chime than the Blue. Bottom end is way better too.

I played a custom shop Fender amp some years back and it had a 10" and a 12" and I have to say it was quite astounding...looked like a 50's TV and they had it in that not long lasting premium upstairs area at the Rock Shop K rd.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

The blue production is still UK only. i dont think there would be much difference if manufacturing shipped to china, probably just kept in england for the people who disdain chinese produced stuff.

NZ__Ninja
Squier
Been liked: 1 time

Post by NZ__Ninja »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Celestion still make speakers in the UK as far as I'm aware. The last 2 Blues I got in state Made in UK...but I suspect they were a year or 2 old.

I'm a big fan of Red Fang's and have w@nked on many a time about them in this forum...they aren't really a straight swap out for a Blue...they're probably best described as a modern day equivalent to the blue. There's more sparkle but possibly less woody chime than the Blue. Bottom end is way better too.

I played a custom shop Fender amp some years back and it had a 10" and a 12" and I have to say it was quite astounding...looked like a 50's TV and they had it in that not long lasting premium upstairs area at the Rock Shop K rd.
are the red fangs 10 inch?
Les Paul standard with Bareknuckle rebel yells
Ernie ball volume > Boss TU2 > Boss CS3 modded > Barber LTD >G2D Standard > Boss DD5 > TC nova repeater
Fender Blues Deluxe

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I like the blue jensens. P10r i think is the code.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Red Fangs are only 12" I think...although that series does have some 10" 'ers like The Copperhead, Ramrod etc.

Yeah, go Jensen's...they have much respect....