Zoom 505/606/707

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Zoom 505/606/707

Post by ash »

I see a few of these on TM at the moment. How good or bad are they in terms of easy use and sound?

I don't particularly care about toughness, as anything I get will never step outside the set-up room anyway. I could use something with some versatility for testing and demo'ing etc, but only if the price is reallly right ;) .

If the 505II stays cheap I might just get it to play with...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

I used to have a 707II some time ago.
Excellent value for the type of application you have outlined.
No good IMO for live use. Did a few basic recordings through the PC and an 8-Track with it, came out....well, as you'd expect for that sort of a setup....but I had heard allot worse with better equipment.
But for "testing" "messing around" "jamming at home/workshop" purposes, I would say its probably the best around.
The 707II is the coolest, cause its got the expression pedal, lots of decent effects/dist/od's etc. and its "upgradeable"
Sold mine on TM ages ago for around $220. Paid $350 new.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

My sound clips/competition entries are all done with the Zoom 505II - so you've heard what your Aurum can sound like with one 8)

The inbuilt patches are by and large crap, but a bit of tweaking can provide very good results. As for live use; it wouldn't be my first choice, but I used it when Gelato and I played at the GANZ meeting a while back (just going direct from the 505 into the PA) and was told it sounded pretty good. (In fact the exact words were "did you really get all that tone out of a 505??" 8) )

I would wholeheartedly recommend it for value for 2 dorra 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Kloppsta wrote:Excellent value for the type of application you have outlined. No good IMO for live use. .
I'd second that. I heard one used at the Kings Arms not so long ago. Utter trash. Heard better sounds effects from an Atari 2600 games console from the early 80's.

But for goofing around, they'd probably do okay. But you definitely don't want to pay much for one.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

RoBzTaR 1

Post by RoBzTaR 1 »

I currently have a 707II on my pedal board which I aquired for free (No it's not stolen!) because my cousin couldn't figure out how to get a good sound out of it. He uses a zoom 4040, I have no idea why he bought a 707II. All good though cause I got it now!

I tend to agree as a stand alone unit its not really very good. But in conjuction with the rest of my setup its proven to be a very cost effective and intigural part of my sound. For example, a digitech whammy pedal retails for over $1000. Fire up the pitch shifter on the 707II, assign the expression pedal to pitch modulation (up, down, woteva ur fancy is) and voulous! cheap version of whammy!

I've used it on numerous occasions live, I don't use the presets only user defined patches, and find its a wicked peice of machinary when used more like a stompbox than an effects processor.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I had the reverb one. I it was a 507. Great little pedal. I let the other guitarist in our band use it while his pedal was getting fixed. Doesn'look like I am getting it back. He seems to taken to it.

He uses it and it is fine for what we play. It has delay reverb, chorus and trem on it. No over drives etc.

Good cheap pedal. So of the reviews say it is a nasty plastic thing , but It would be hard to break it.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

I missed out on all the auctions I was initially looking at, but there is a Zoom GA-200 amp modeller that looks interesting. I think that would be more suitable for the task I have in mind.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

RoBzTaR 1 wrote:...I've used it on numerous occasions live, I don't use the presets only user defined patches....
I've found that to be the key with using a Zoom. I've used a lot of different ones from the original 9002 (that attached to your guitar strap) up to the one I have now, a 9150 (which I wouldn't part with for anything). The presets that come with them (like most effects units) are designed to show off everything at once it seems. I've used Zooms live many times, and have always been happy with the results.

Sicklehut
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Sicklehut »

Gelato wrote:
RoBzTaR 1 wrote:...I've used it on numerous occasions live, I don't use the presets only user defined patches....
I've found that to be the key with using a Zoom. I've used a lot of different ones from the original 9002 (that attached to your guitar strap) up to the one I have now, a 9150 (which I wouldn't part with for anything). The presets that come with them (like most effects units) are designed to show off everything at once it seems. I've used Zooms live many times, and have always been happy with the results.
I had one of the original Zoom 9002 - remember that ad ...
Who's zooming .... Sambora's zooming .... :mrgreen:
They actually sound best plugged direct into a PA or board
I traded mine in for a crap Ibanez LP copy ....
I woke up this morning and said to myself
Self what a great day it is for Rock and Roll ...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

The other guitarist in my main band and I both use Zoom 3000s Player fx boxes.

They do all we ever need.

However, I agree with above - standard patches ALL needed to be tweaked to suit me.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Since this thread has re-emerged, I should update my status. I skipped the 505s when the price went over $100 and then I saw a Zoom GM200 on TM, so I got that instead for $110.

Its not like the 505s in that its more like an analogue pre-amp, rather than a floor sitting stomp box. It has a bunch of amp model choices (3 Fenders, 1 Vox, 2 Marshalls, 2 Mesa, 1 Peavey, 1 Soldano and 1 that sounds like an Ashton practice amp!); 1 effects knob (tremelo, reverb, chrus, echo), treble, mids, bass, etc...

So you just choose the amp model, set the gain and tone etc and there you have it. I don't know how realistic the tones are (maybe someone who tried it at the gearfest has an opinion), but the general character is certainly there.

Sadly it lacks the interactive nature of a tube amp. No touch sensitivity or authentic feedback like the real thing.

One day when I get a soundcard that can handle audio input without dying I'll try recording with it...