The new breed of Mesa - review

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: The new breed of Mesa - review

Post by Michael »

mop wrote:
Khann wrote:While he seems like a tosser.. to be fair, your website is shit ;)
Ah, but at least they have just about all of their products on there, with current prices, unlike a certain other chain of music stores :wink:
Yep, true enough. Thank god for that too... annoys me so much when prices and such aren't listed.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

Khann wrote:
mop wrote:
Khann wrote:While he seems like a tosser.. to be fair, your website is shit ;)
Ah, but at least they have just about all of their products on there, with current prices, unlike a certain other chain of music stores :wink:
Yep, true enough. Thank god for that too... annoys me so much when prices and such aren't listed.
Even better, when I bought my amp, the website price was $100 lower than the store tag. I told Max, and he gave me the website price no questions asked. 8)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

hamo wrote: Even better, when I bought my amp, the website price was $100 lower than the store tag. I told Max, and he gave me the website price no questions asked. 8)
aha yeah... website inconsistencies helped me out too 8)
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

hamo wrote:Even better, when I bought my amp, the website price was $100 lower than the store tag. I told Max, and he gave me the website price no questions asked. 8)
Oh did he now?

Matt - you see that?

;)
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

NZRS-Dave wrote:
hamo wrote:Even better, when I bought my amp, the website price was $100 lower than the store tag. I told Max, and he gave me the website price no questions asked. 8)
Oh did he now?

Matt - you see that?

;)
He he, getting Max in tru-bble. :lol:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by werdna »

Does anyone know of anyone else who has a mark v head who wants to sell it?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7929 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Which is awesome, cause they don't HAVE to do that :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

werdna wrote:Does anyone know of anyone else who has a mark v head who wants to sell it?
Someone from Hastings posted here about selling his Mk5 recently. Can't remember the username though.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

ash wrote:
werdna wrote:Does anyone know of anyone else who has a mark v head who wants to sell it?
Someone from Hastings posted here about selling his Mk5 recently. Can't remember the username though.
You're not referring to that TM lister are you? tmh06? The one who kept calling people fruitcakes and having his auctions banned? He sold it.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I don't think it was him. The guy who used to work at Hastings RS.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by werdna »

I found the review of the mesa mark v very helpful. I am about to spend a few grand on an amp. I play covers. I could buy a roadster 2 x 12, or a mark v with a 2 x 12 cab. I have some questions for those of you who know these amps. Which of the two amps is the more versatile? Which does the better clean sound? Which does the better marshall plexi sound? Does channel 3 on the mark v sound like you are in a different band from the other two, rendering it almost unusable except playing Lamb of God? Do the two heavy channels on the roadster just do metal and nothing else? Is the Roadster so heavy that if I try to lift it will my arm be ripped out of its socket, like a drumstick pulled off a roast chicken? Does the mark v have no vibe and look like medical equipment from the 1960s? Your thoughts gentlemen.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

werdna wrote:I found the review of the mesa mark v very helpful. I am about to spend a few grand on an amp. I play covers. I could buy a roadster 2 x 12, or a mark v with a 2 x 12 cab. I have some questions for those of you who know these amps. Which of the two amps is the more versatile? Which does the better clean sound? Which does the better marshall plexi sound? Does channel 3 on the mark v sound like you are in a different band from the other two, rendering it almost unusable except playing Lamb of God? Do the two heavy channels on the roadster just do metal and nothing else? Is the Roadster so heavy that if I try to lift it will my arm be ripped out of its socket, like a drumstick pulled off a roast chicken? Does the mark v have no vibe and look like medical equipment from the 1960s? Your thoughts gentlemen.
IMO...
Be aware that the roadster combo is really, really, really heavy. It's difficult for one person to lift kinda heavy.

Clean is the same on both.
Neither one nails a plexi but of the two, the Roadster would probably get closer.
No, channel 3 is a logical continuation of channel 2 gainwise. It's not ridiculously heavy at all.
No, the roadster is very versatile, some prefer it to the Roadking tonewise. Gain on 1 or 2 gives good rock tones. It will certainly do the recto thing as well but it can do more than just that.
Yes, it is that heavy.
The Mark V takes MORE dialling than the Roadster (which takes a bit of dialling itself) but it REALLY cuts through the mix and when you find the tone, all is well. It needs to be quite loud to do its thing though, sounds pretty weak on low volumes (less than rehearsal volume), whereas the roadster sounds good at all settings.

They're both really good amps. If it was me, I'd go for the Mark V as it cuts through the mix much better. I'd also much rather have the head and cab than a 2x12 combo. I ALSO find the 2nd channel on the roadster/roadking to be a bit useless whereas the three channels of the MkV are all very usable.

Phildo
Resident Tyre Kicker

Post by Phildo »

sambrowne wrote:I find the 2nd channel on the roadster/roadking to be a bit useless
Fail... :mrgreen: :P :lol:
I cannot brain today, I have the dumb.