Best Multi-Effects Unit for Newbie?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TrooperHarley
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Best Multi-Effects Unit for Newbie?

Post by TrooperHarley »

Hello everyone,
What advice can you offer a beginner electric guitarist looking for a multi-effects unit? I am aware of Boss ME25, Digitech RP55, Line 6's Pod 2.0 and Pocket Pod, Zoom G2.1Nu and Behringer's V-Amp 3 and X V-Amp. I want it for practice, not for stage use, to learn about effects. I will use it with headphones, as well as through a Blackstar HT5 amp. My music interests are blues and 70s rock. Thank you.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7910 times
Been liked: 4259 times

Re: Best Multi-Effects Unit for Newbie?

Post by jeremyb »

How much you wanna spend? Pod 2.0 would be my choice outta that list :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

Irig

with an Ipod an Iphone or an ipad only logical conclusion especially if as you say you will use headphones

the out can also be connected to an amp

http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?b=&sku=IRIG

cheaper and more effective as has clear software upgrade path than any of the units mentioned

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

nzsimon1 wrote:Irig

with an Ipod an Iphone or an ipad only logical conclusion especially if as you say you will use headphones

cheaper and more effective as has clear software upgrade path than any of the units mentioned
As long as you have an i-Whatever. Otherwise it'll cost you the iRig price plus a grand.

I only have experience with the Pocket POD, and I can recommend it. Full POD might be better though.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

vox tonelab
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

jeremyb wrote:How much you wanna spend? Pod 2.0 would be my choice outta that list :)
Now's a good time for a second had pod 2.0 due to people replacing them with Pod HD ( which probably overkill for a n00b).
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

hamo wrote:

As long as you have an i-Whatever. Otherwise it'll cost you the iRig price plus a grand.

Rubbish an Ipod touch isn't even close to a grand plus not only does the downloadable amplitube software come with multieffects but also multiamps there is a complete Fender package downloadable and it has a recording function and a play along with the songs in your ipod

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Post by TmcB »

TrooperHarley wrote:Hello everyone,
What advice can you offer a beginner electric guitarist looking for a multi-effects unit? I am aware of Boss ME25, Digitech RP55, Line 6's Pod 2.0 and Pocket Pod, Zoom G2.1Nu and Behringer's V-Amp 3 and X V-Amp. I want it for practice, not for stage use, to learn about effects. I will use it with headphones, as well as through a Blackstar HT5 amp. My music interests are blues and 70s rock. Thank you.

Just getting my nzsimon on...
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Boss
GT3 GT6 are good value second hand. They invented the multiEFx :wink:

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

nzsimon1 wrote:
hamo wrote:

Rubbish an Ipod touch isn't even close to a grand plus not only does the downloadable amplitube software come with multieffects but also multiamps there is a complete Fender package downloadable and it has a recording function and a play along with the songs in your ipod

okay..
1. a minimum extra $400 odd.
2. the interface would be about the size of a pack of cards, which may be 'handy', but not exactly handy "to learn about effects" (as per OP)
3. chicago do/don't use then (cross out whichever is not applicable)
4. I've heard markbass make the best effects units anyway, so why would he bother with an apple?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

rocklander wrote:okay..
2. the interface would be about the size of a pack of cards, which may be 'handy', but not exactly handy "to learn about effects" (as per OP)
4. I've heard markbass make the best effects units anyway, so why would he bother with an apple?
This thread brings the memes
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

2nd hand Pod 2.0 FTW. The Vamps are pretty good too apparently though have never used.

and I've got Ipod Touch, Ipad and the iRig and software etc. Handy if size is an issue, otherwise Pod rules all.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

rocklander wrote:vox tonelab
+1 for the Vox Tonelab - the ST is cheap, will be perfect for what you're after, and most importantly, can give you some amazing tones.

For reference, I've owned various amps (including a Marshall Silver Jubilee combo) and multi-effects pedals (Zoom then Boss GT3 & GT6, Pod XT Live, Tonelab LE, Tonelab ST) and the Tonelab is far and away the cream of the crop if tone is what you're after. In fact, I sold the Jubilee when I bought the Tonelab LE, as it covered all my needs and was a damn sight cheaper, more portable and reliable. These days I'm using the ST, and will gladly vouch for it.

Just keep in mind that with any multi-effects pedal you need to be prepared to fiddle with settings to get the sound you're after - it's not a case of plug and play. On the Tonelab it's very quick and easy though.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

pods for sure. I started with the first pod, then pod 2.0, then XT, haha. Went to a V-amp2 for a small amount of time as an inbetweener.

Pods are a great way to get into multi effects and there are a crazy amount of presets you can download.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

rocklander wrote:[
okay..

Nah nah mate. Steady on. Look, it's reasonable to assume that anybody living in a major city (who doesn't work in IT) will already own an iPod/Touch/Pad.
Shit, even you own an iPhone and you're the cheapest bastard in the southern hemisphere! ;)