More Vox Questions..

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 702 times

More Vox Questions..

Post by AiRdAd »

Hi guys,

I’m starting to look at vox’s.

The main options I’m figuring out are as follows:

Speakers
Greenback vs Celestion Blue. I think the general consensus is that blue is better (and I’ve already got a greenback cab.) But they are more expensive than greenbacks. A greenback is roughly $199, whereas a blue is $499.

AC15 vs AC30
The AC30 has got two speakers – as opposed to the AC15 having one. It makes a better sound with two speakers, but again can influence the price.
The AC30 is louder, but has got better headroom. I’ll be able to drive an AC15 harder, but it won’t have the depth of sound of an AC30
I only really play at home – but I’ve got attenuators so I can wind it up.

Standard – vs – Heritage TV’s – vs - Heritage HW’s
The standard ones are circuit board based – TV’s are handwired onto a circuit board – HW’s handwired onto a Turrent board. (I think)
The TV’s (I think) have got different channels to the other two. Is that less desirable?
The heritage HW’s are white tolex and look heart attack hot.
I’ve heard the circuit board on standard models have a layout that can cause the tubes to get mega hot – is that an issue? Have the handwired ones got any extra features. I’m buying second hand so are handwired more reliable?

I’d be keen on some input on helping me with prioritising what features are important. Are there other important features I’m missing?

For example - Pay extra for Celestion blues, but it’s not worth going for the handwired. Definitely get a AC15 over an AC30 ETC ETC ETC

Thanks Danny
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: More Vox Questions..

Post by Vorbis »

Meh, just get an ac30cc2 with the wharfdale speakers. add a crowther hotcake (earlier model). You'll have a great clean with a seriously awesome gain tone.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath »

That's a lot of comparisons to make so Ill answer what I can. I'll assume snob factor is not an issue. I don't have an Ac15 but I do have an AC30CC Head so may be a little biased.

The tubes aren't cooked in it like the combos, which would give more reliability IMO and is lighter. The only problems I have had with mine in over 3 years is the stock chinese tubes in it going microphonic after the first couple months but I swapped em for JJs. So why don't you get one of those? Since you have a greenbacks already you can hook it up to them and hear it for yourself. Find someone with blues and try it with that. Best way if you're on a budget. If you don't have friends just suck the cost up now and get the blues if you can. They have the AC30 sound, and since you're playing at home you have a master volume which I think is a nice feature.

My mate has the sexy white heritage series combo with the blues (AC30H2). I will say his normal channel sounds a bit better than my CC probably since his has the legendary EF86 section in it. The Heritage series probably has less features than the CC but some people like simplicity. For example you can blend the top boost and the normal channel on the CC but not the HS.

I know nothing about the other models (AC30HW2X etc), by the way you also get reverb and tremolo on the CCs and not on the heritage series. If you're not too fussed about the Pros of the CCs Ive mentioned I say go for this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 531311.htm you won't be disappointed
"You give me a fucking kazoo and I'll write you a good song." - Billy Corgan

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

OK, CC's (Custom Classics) have been replaced by 'C's (Customs). The naming is confusing, but the Customs are much more well put together than the Custom Classics were - better switches, better jacks, better speakers (greenbacks as standard), better tube placement equalling better ventilation and less overheating, MUCH better reverb, and generally a much better sounding amp. The trade off is an MDF cab instead of a ply one, but I still think these are brilliant value amps.

Heritage versus Handwired, I like the new Handwired series alot more than the previous Heritage series. As you've mentioned, turret board versus circuit board, again better jacks (not those horrible plastic ones the Heritage had), Greenback option making it more affordable, better tube placement for less overheating, and just a more useable sound. Alot of people really like the Heritage series sound, but I always found them overly 'clangy' and brittle, and horrible with overdrive pedals. Whereas the new handwired is not only a great sounding amp clean, it's just majestic when overdriven. It can really get a very nice smooth distorted sound going when you crank it, and is wonderfully dynamic. I love the switchable master volume and the half power options.

My only complaint about the Handwired is that the AC15 has no effects loop. I like reverb, and this amp doesn't have any, but it sounds great with a verb pedal - an effects loop would allow you to put one after the gain stage.

I think AC30's are a bit too big and loud and clean for most people these days, given that we're usually mic'd up and told to turn down. I find the AC15 a perfect size and wattage. Plenty loud enough, but still really dynamic at practise levels. We would have probably sold 10 AC15's for every 1 AC30.

Greenbacks versus Blues - I think this is just preference. Greenbacks are a bit darker, but I think they sound great in Vox amps, and they sound awesome with overdrive. I haven't tried the Handwired with a blue, but the AC15HW1 with Greenback we had when I was at Music Planet was the shizzle. I was actually kinda tempted to sell my Dr Z for one, because there's so much more gain available with the Vox.

Here's my video review of the AC15H1, in case you missed it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKIgka8Kflg[/youtube]
Last edited by mr_sooty on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

My only Vox experience is with a 1960's original. This makes me a lucky lad but also very aware of the thin line between heaven and hell that these things can be.
First point; they run hot, very hot. Circuit boards don't endure heat as well as PTP. And unlike PTP, circuit boards are a bitch to repair. The AC 30 is a very complex circuit so I rate premium engineering as the starting point for Vox happiness.

Second; Just because a guy can fix a Fender or Marshall, doesn't mean he's competent to work on a Vox. They are the Ferraris of the amp world. I've got a bunch of tips and procedures from pro Vox techs if you want them.

Third: It's gotta have Blues! But that's just my taste. Blues are so expensive compared to almost anything else but they certainly heft mer mmmmmmmm.

Fourth. You DO want the top boost circuit.

Fifth. It might be worth talking to Unique about his power scaling project. When mine's on full song, small birds fall from the sky.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

I don't know much about 'em, but the AC15s I've heard on stage have been ridiculously loud and deliciously tasty sounding. At the last gig I remember playing with one beside me, the AC15 blew the 50W Hiwatt off stage.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I plugged into Unique's JMP AC30, first time on a Vox, no pedal, just clean, about 3/4 volume...it kicked my head in, in the coolest way possible.

My instincts tell me you're more a blazing Marshall kind of guy.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Pakehendrix wrote:I don't know much about 'em, but the AC15s I've heard on stage have been ridiculously loud and deliciously tasty sounding. At the last gig I remember playing with one beside me, the AC15 blew the 50W Hiwatt off stage.
Mic'd?
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

AiRdAd wrote:Hi guys,

I’m starting to look at vox’s.

The main options I’m figuring out are as follows:

Speakers
Greenback vs Celestion Blue. I think the general consensus is that blue is better (and I’ve already got a greenback cab.) But they are more expensive than greenbacks. A greenback is roughly $199, whereas a blue is $499.

AC15 vs AC30
The AC30 has got two speakers – as opposed to the AC15 having one. It makes a better sound with two speakers, but again can influence the price.
The AC30 is louder, but has got better headroom. I’ll be able to drive an AC15 harder, but it won’t have the depth of sound of an AC30
I only really play at home – but I’ve got attenuators so I can wind it up.

Standard – vs – Heritage TV’s – vs - Heritage HW’s
The standard ones are circuit board based – TV’s are handwired onto a circuit board – HW’s handwired onto a Turrent board. (I think)
The TV’s (I think) have got different channels to the other two. Is that less desirable?
The heritage HW’s are white tolex and look heart attack hot.
I’ve heard the circuit board on standard models have a layout that can cause the tubes to get mega hot – is that an issue? Have the handwired ones got any extra features. I’m buying second hand so are handwired more reliable?

I’d be keen on some input on helping me with prioritising what features are important. Are there other important features I’m missing?

For example - Pay extra for Celestion blues, but it’s not worth going for the handwired. Definitely get a AC15 over an AC30 ETC ETC ETC

Thanks Danny
What bands/styles in particular do you tend to mainly play?

To my mind, there is no great benefit in an AC30 over an AC15 other than the larger cab and the low end oomph it provides. A 15w class A is loud as balls. Even in a band context, the 2x12 AC30 is a real beast to contain - it's the equivalent or louder to a Marshall 100w + quad (IME). I'd say get an AC15 secondhand as a starting point as in all likelihood it'll be all you need. Speaker wise, you'll be wanting a greenback or blue according to taste - the blue is THE Vox speaker of lore, but I love the sound of greenbacks so if I had to choose for an AC15, my starting point would be a green. If you've got a greenback cab with the same impedance, you can check that out with the amp driving it and see if that floats your boat. If not, it's most likely the blue that you need to get where you want to go.

The general consensus seems to be the CCs are fine now, they just had issues with the first batch in terms of overheating, but the reality with Voxes is they are designed to run really hot and as such, even the best/original vintage ones have lots of maintenance issues. The handwireds are handwired (!) so if you can get a cheap one, go for that, but the CCs go for really low dollars for what you're getting - $750 for an AC15 on trademe is typical. Amps and guitars are going cheap on TM these days so make offers on a few and you're likely to pick an ac15 up for not much. I really would advise against an AC30 for home use unless you find the AC15 really leaves you wanting. It would be like needing a handgun and buying a cannon.

Vegetableman
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Vegetableman »

I am the mate mention by Mr Sabbath so I'll weigh in with my opinion on the H2.

It sounds fantastic, as already mentioned. I've had none of the issues with clangy or brittleness that Mr sooty discussed. I guess its very setup dependent. It goes extremely well with a rangemaster style treble booster.
It is very loud and occasionally it can be a bit hard to dial in but I guess thats the same of any tube amp. It does have a couple of down points, mostly being in its simplicity ie no master volume or standby switch. The tremolo on the CC's is fantastic and I would love to have it on my amp.

At the end of the day I wouldnt trade it for anything however if you dont have the money to throw at it a CC (or whatever they are now) is a very very good amp. I would have got one myself had I not happened across the H2.
Vegetableman where are you?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 702 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the all of the input - I really appreciate it - it's pretty much cleared everything up for me - I'll digest it over night and get sorted with a plan.

Thanks Danny
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

Danny, I know a guy...who has Voxes...call me before you $
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

+1 Vox (insert any of the ones i mentioned below) + Crowther Hotcake = hard to beat for the price.

I can't tell the difference to save my life, but have had the AC15CC, AC15TB, AC30CC and 2 x AC30 with greenbacks. All awesome amps and would be my amps of choice. Since I only played the occasional gig I preferred the AC15.

They are plenty loud. The AC15 can seriously keep up with a loud drummer, PA and bass stack during rehearsals. Just mic'd up in a small venue would lower the stage volume but can easily fill a hall.

Talk to Unique and Polar Bear, I conuslted with them before buying my vox(es). 8)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Vox? Voxes? Voxen? A couple of Vox?
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

voles
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass