Hot rod deville

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 838 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Hot rod deville

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Well I did it, I pulled the trigger on a mint second hand fender HRD 410 v2. Thing sounds glorious with my 2003 fender tele deluxe maple fret board.
Didnt expect to, but I even like the drive channel. Subtle drive channel channel plus my riceknbacker and some tremolo = CCR :)
Stoked

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Re: Hot rod deville

Post by jeremyb »

Awesome!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Yep, happy as a clam at high water.
Anyone have any idea how this hot rod deville differs from the hot rod deville III that is for sale now? Visually it has a chrome chassic rather than a black one.
Cheers

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

No idea, but I bet it sounds glorious!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

It will just be some tweaks in the circuit, they did a lot of work on the overdrive channel because of all the complaints...if you're into modding, there's whole websites devoted to modding these amps, quite a few of them just upgrading screen grids and things like that, worth checking out, none of them cost much, and if you can do the work yourself, even better!

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Additional Hot Rod Deluxe III upgrades include an easier-to-read black control panel with front-reading text, new badge, streamlined footswitch, graduated volume and treble pot tapers, “tighter” overdrive and a Celestion® G12P-80 speaker.
The volume pot fix is a biggie, and about bloody time! I'm interested to hear this "tighter" overdrive.

Anyway nice score dude and glad you're happy. I absolutely love my Fender Blues Deluxe.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

the biggest change was the volume pot for the master/clean channel

I bought the Deville III's volume pot through fender and got John(here in hamilton) to replace my Deville II 's volume with the deville III's.

much better now - still stupidly loud however.

I'd reccomend putting a volume pedal or something in your effects loop so you can drive your pre-amp channel a bit more on clean, instead of playing with it on 1-2 you can actually get it up to about 4-6. :lol:

Si
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

philbit
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by philbit »

I brought one of these amps just before xmas I don't know if its Mk1 or 2 or whateva but love the amp nice cleans but the Overdrive blaah.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

SimpleSi wrote:I'd reccomend putting a volume pedal or something in your effects loop so you can drive your pre-amp channel a bit more on clean, instead of playing with it on 1-2 you can actually get it up to about 4-6. :lol:
Seconded. I used to use a Road Rage mini volume in the effects loop of my Blues Deluxe Reissue (same clean circuit as the Hot Rod).
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

philbit wrote:I brought one of these amps just before xmas I don't know if its Mk1 or 2 or whateva but love the amp nice cleans but the Overdrive blaah.
Yep, you really need to get overdrive from a pedal. But they take just about any pedal really well.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Great, thanks for the replies guys.
Yeh, a proper audio taper on the master/clean volume would be a good cheap upgrade. I liek the look of the silver chassis over the black, not sure why they changed that.
I kind of like some of the sounds im getting out of the overdrive channel. It is very gainey so keeping the gain down at 1 or 2 im getting some decent CCR/classic tones.
But I agree, the overdrive from my Boss SD-1 through the clean is better than the drive channel.
I have a picaso boost pedal which drives the pre amp tubes nicely on the clean channel. Just chucked a joyo tremolo in the mix and now om born on the bayou yeoow!
Also, the amo is 3 years old, and though it doesnt look like its seen much heavy use, im kind of keen to upgrade the valves. I like a good good headroom. Any suggestions?
Cheers

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

I think the main reason they switched to the black chassis is that it's easier to read. Doesn't reflect stage lighting so badly.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

The lettering always starts flaking off on Hotrod Deluxes too. White on shiny chrome... probably not the greatest design decision.

The new III series Hotrods use Celestion speakers now too. After all the complaints about the wimpy 'Special Design for Fender' 12 inch speakers in Hotrods, Fender must have told Eminence to go stick it!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Any suggestion as far as speaker upgrades are concerned?

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Any suggestion as far as speaker upgrades are concerned?
Celestian Blue or gold 10's

;-)

stick with the 6L6 power amp tubes.

keep the 12ax7 preamp too - they're nice together for the clean channel

I only ever use clean on my amp - everything else is done though pedals
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma