Problem solved

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by thehenderson »

I recently bought an old ass plexi off trademe

one of the four channel inputs doesn't work, when i plug in it just hums.

Does this sound like an expensive fix?

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

thats a good score there AYP, im using one eye as im drunk, hope i read it rite, crank that marshall!!, best for their price i say, hope i get mine tomoro, excuse me, im intoxicated lol, wait for the pxt, then its mine, for now on, crank that marshall!!

PS feel free to delete this bluesgeek.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

thehenderson wrote:I recently bought an old ass plexi off trademe

one of the four channel inputs doesn't work, when i plug in it just hums.

Does this sound like an expensive fix?
Not normally - bet on 1) stuffed/low emission tube (look for one that does not glow red) 2) open cathode resistor on a preamp valve (12AX7?? cannot remember) 3) stuffed input cap (leaking or open circuit).

Once you get beyond those things can be fun but you really need rooted transformers or nasty intermittants for the moolah to mount up - the fact the other chanells are working shows it's not those so heave in to the amp tech. (no guarrantees but you can allways ask for an estimate - I'd be very surprised if it cost any more than $100-150).

Oh one last thought - check the input jack is OK - ie both wires go to it and are soldered OK - you'd be surprised how often they go (as they are the most used part) but no one thinks to check.
You can't do THAT on stage!

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

Visionless_Guitarist wrote:thats a good score there AYP, im using one eye as im drunk, hope i read it rite, crank that marshall!!, best for their price i say, hope i get mine tomoro, excuse me, im intoxicated lol, wait for the pxt, then its mine, for now on, crank that marshall!!

PS feel free to delete this bluesgeek.
hahahaha you are drunk!

yes give us the good news tomorrow if you get to take the sucker home!

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

B45-12 wrote:
Not normally - bet on 1) stuffed/low emission tube (look for one that does not glow red) 2) open cathode resistor on a preamp valve (12AX7?? cannot remember) 3) stuffed input cap (leaking or open circuit).

Once you get beyond those things can be fun but you really need rooted transformers or nasty intermittants for the moolah to mount up - the fact the other chanells are working shows it's not those so heave in to the amp tech. (no guarrantees but you can allways ask for an estimate - I'd be very surprised if it cost any more than $100-150).

Oh one last thought - check the input jack is OK - ie both wires go to it and are soldered OK - you'd be surprised how often they go (as they are the most used part) but no one thinks to check.

Cheers man, I'll take it down to Weta soon. it was a score at 1200 :D And of the three inputs that do work, one sound soooooooo nice. Suprising amount of clean headroom too