This 100 watt 'big iron' thing. Let's talk more about that...

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 266 times

Re: This 100 watt 'big iron' thing. Let's talk more about that...

Post by H671 »

kdawg2a wrote:Thinking out loud here a bit. My dream amp would be 2 channels, slightly pushed tweed deluxe for my clean and driven plexi for my dirty channel. Somewhere around 20 watts. If it was to be built, would it be worth building with oversize transformers to help with lower volume response and 'fullness'?
Ryan, can it be done? How much?!

Isn't that what a Rivera does?
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1053 times

Post by kdawg2a »

H671 wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:Thinking out loud here a bit. My dream amp would be 2 channels, slightly pushed tweed deluxe for my clean and driven plexi for my dirty channel. Somewhere around 20 watts. If it was to be built, would it be worth building with oversize transformers to help with lower volume response and 'fullness'?

I have no idea.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

kdawg2a wrote:
H671 wrote:

I have no idea.
Sounds similar to JB's amp?

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

This is a cool/handy thread actually, always good to know how to work your amps to get the best from them.
With clean head room the goal, I always used to set my 800's power section high and use the pre amp as a master volume. It sounded bigger that way compared to the other way around. Once I get back into the practice room I'm gonna have a good fiddle to find the sweet spot.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7928 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Sounds similar to JB's amp?
Mines very similar, just different flavours, full of so much magic tho', Ryan is THE MAN!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 595 times

Post by godgrinder »

kdawg2a wrote:My dream amp would be 2 channels, slightly pushed tweed deluxe for my clean and driven plexi for my dirty channel. Somewhere around 20 watts.
If it's a tweed/JTM hybrid I imagine it would be quite doable as they do share some similarities.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Definitely can be done. Mercury Magnetics started offering this kind of things years ago - over-sized output and power transformer upgrades, which they refer to as Fat-Stack or Super-Stack - definitely makes a difference, particularly to the low-end and the overall transient response, and you can less compression from OT saturation when the output section is pushed hard.

With the current FX rate, a ballpark for that kind of build is $2.5K ... but stay tuned, I'm looking at offering some economy options for builds this summer which may still tick the big iron + lower wattage box.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

There’s certainly something about big trannies - My THD Univalve had massive great trannies, the size of which you’d expect on a 100 watt amp, and that was only a 10 watt amp. But it sounded big, nothing at all like other low watt amps I’ve tried and it had great dynamics

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

A well-designed/spec'd single-ended amp such as the Univalve should have larger transformers than you might expect for a low-wattage amp; the OT will need to be an air-gapped design which automatically makes it larger than a typical low-wattage push-pull OT.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7928 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

bbrunskill wrote:There’s certainly something about big trannies
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

kdawg2a wrote:
I gig with a 5 watt Marshall class 5 (going through the same cab as the plexi) and it gets me 80% of the tone at a usable volume.

Quick Question: are you one of those guys who uses the fold-back to hear the Guitar amp?
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

AmpShop wrote:
Definitely can be done. Mercury Magnetics started offering this kind of things years ago - over-sized output and power transformer upgrades, which they refer to as Fat-Stack or Super-Stack - definitely makes a difference, particularly to the low-end and the overall transient response, and you can less compression from OT saturation when the output section is pushed hard.

With the current FX rate, a ballpark for that kind of build is $2.5K ... but stay tuned, I'm looking at offering some economy options for builds this summer which may still tick the big iron + lower wattage box.
This is why I love this site. Knowledgable good bastards. Keep me up to date with what your doing there Ryan.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

oh big trannies? how about these in the DJW. for a 10-12 watt head. :D

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

mrmofo wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:
I gig with a 5 watt Marshall class 5 (going through the same cab as the plexi) and it gets me 80% of the tone at a usable volume.

Quick Question: are you one of those guys who uses the fold-back to hear the Guitar amp?
Nope. Acoustics go through the fold back but the electric just projects straight out from the amp. I very rarely need to go past 3 on the volume and my drummer plays like Animal.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Here's what lurks in a 100 watt Fender Twin;

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus