Your amps through the years

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

The Bald Man
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Your amps through the years

Post by The Bald Man »

Hmmm... a stroll down that ol' familiar street, Memory..
Probably missed a few, but these are the ones that have stuck in the mind:

Jansen Lil' Brute
Peavey Rage 108
Roland DAC with BUILT IT DIGITAL EFFECTS!!!
Then I grew up and could afford to buy gear:
Fender Silverface ? 100w 12" Combo and a Marshall JCM? 100w head, both running a Marshall 4x10 Cab with a AB switch, was my main gigging amp thru the '90's - Those 4x10's had much better cut than the 4x12's! Gave me a great Clean + Dirty channel option :)
Was a fan of Marshall Stereo Chorus 100w combo's
It gets a bit hazy through these years with a variety of short-lived relationships and one week stands, but there were a bunch of usual Marshall SS 100w Stacks, a Joe Satch xXx, a terrible MESA that let me down numerous times, a Randall stack that I picked up for nix that was built like a tank, a couple of Kustom half-stacks that I really enjoyed... Hey, I was in it for a good time and the money, I didn't want to be lugging around valve good-ness to smokey bars. So long as it was loud enough, cheap and reliable, it was fine!

Later on there came:
Peavey 5150
Vox Night Train
Orange Terror
Fender ? Blonde combo
Peavey Classic 30
I can't remember what it is called, but I had for a short time a boutique valve amp made by a John Carter in Hamilton, it was absolutely delicious.
A few rubbish Vox Verybads and Fender Forgetables

Nowadays I have sold up all my gigging amps and just have a custom modded Marshall combo, on the workbench is a 2x12 custom cab and I'm on the prowl for a lil valve head that can sing at low volumes.

That was my guitar amps, not my bass amps....

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Your amps through the years

Post by MattH »

Not very many really!

1) I had an old Roland Chorus solid state thing that my mum and dad bought for me when I got my first electric guitar. Had this until I was about 23 when I started gigging properly and bought...
2) A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
3) Moved to NZ, played acoustic almost exclusively for about 5-6 years and then picked up the electric again. Got serious about gear (30s mid-life crisis thing) and bought my 65 Lil Elvis from right here off this forum.
4) Decided more than one amp was OK and bought a Blackstar HT1 for late night noodling.
5) Traded this up for a VibroChamp

I'd love a Princeton now, but am not trading either of my current amps to have it. It would have to be an addition!
All the gear... absolutely no idea...