Amp help

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jops
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Jops »

That's why I go the EL84 way. Nice and cheap (for tubes). I've got some JJ's at the mo and they seem to be lasting well... 12ax7s are cheap as chips as long as you buy smart and they last ages. But I'd hate to pay for KT88s or something like that...

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

My amp had something like two channels worth of pre amp valves, four poweramp valves and two big recto valves

I think

In anycase at the time i remember deciding to sell rather than retube

Jops
Fender
Fender

Post by Jops »

Oh you had a triple rec, understood. Mine doesn't compete... :(

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Haha, no no

I had a dual rec tremoverb

perhaps I'm mistaken with my tube compliment though

what do you have?

Jops
Fender
Fender

Post by Jops »

Maverick. You might be right about the tremo though. Did you run it in half power mode? That would kill the life span of two of the tubes I imagine.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I ran it at full power

100watts is way too much, but a mesa sounds the same at all volumes to me just about

don't dig that sound anymore eh

how does your maverick treat you?

fooey
Stagg
Stagg

Post by fooey »

i retubed about 3 months ago. From eurotubes.com

told him my amp what sound i wanted, and the owner recommended me tube s with custom ones for differnet slots.

ordered 5 pre amp tubes and 2 power tubes.

cost me about 120 inc gst after shipping, so thast pretty cheap. It
sounds REAL nice too. Way better than default tubes and also Groove tubes i tried ( and about 3 times as cheap )

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

good price man, ill go and check that outfor retubing my assman

Jops
Fender
Fender

Post by Jops »

Yeah I wouldn't say all Mesa's are great, been through a couple now, but I like their design and ease of use plus they're alright at lower volume (probably 'cos they're so compressed).

The Mav's a different beast though, vox meets blackface is how I would describe it. I've owned this amp the longest of any now, it's a keeper. I was under the impression that the tremo was one of their better ones though? I wouldn't own anything over 30w these days. I would love to give the Heartbreaker a spankin though.

You got a Bassman RI right? What do you use for dirt?

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

the bassman RI is actually pretty filthy, but i slamaroo it with a ts808 and a hotcake just for good measure

i don't use the bassman much though, i let my bandmate use it mostly atm. I prefer my twin reverb with the tubescreamer, it's coooooool

fooey
Stagg
Stagg

Post by fooey »

so i turned the fx loop off last night. I think i didnt suffer any volume drops. Cant really remember aha. Taking my amp in for a potty check tomorow

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

If they can't get the wiring and pots right, then what exactly are they charging you 2500+ for?

Seems like someone is pulling a George Bush somewhere.

Kerchang
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Kerchang »

Jops wrote:Yeah I wouldn't say all Mesa's are great, been through a couple now, but I like their design and ease of use plus they're alright at lower volume (probably 'cos they're so compressed).

The Mav's a different beast though, vox meets blackface is how I would describe it. I've owned this amp the longest of any now, it's a keeper.
Have to agree there. I played a 2x12 Mav they had at Akld RS last Xmas - sounded bootyful - if only I had the money. Have you tried the Lonestar Special at all?
Live at the Filament!!

Kerchang
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Kerchang »

Cabb wrote:If they can't get the wiring and pots right, then what exactly are they charging you 2500+ for?

Seems like someone is pulling a George Bush somewhere.
Yeah I remeber MB got alot of stick through the forums for the bad pots. They fixed the problem in the later models like mine (f!@kn better have anyway).
Live at the Filament!!

Jops
Fender
Fender

Post by Jops »

Kerchang wrote:Have to agree there. I played a 2x12 Mav they had at Akld RS last Xmas - sounded bootyful - if only I had the money. Have you tried the Lonestar Special at all?
Nah haven't even seen one to play yet. Seen the 'not so special' Lonestar, haven't bothered to try it. Don't think 'white blues wannabe' is the sound I'm after :wink: Two channels and a bright switch are all I need...