Solid state amps. Thoughts?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 355 times

Re: Solid state amps. Thoughts?

Post by WellyBlues »

3 handles? Solid Brick amp?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2495 times
Been liked: 2804 times

Post by Molly »

Four candles.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I am thoroughly confused
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

jimi wrote:Plenty of guys out there sounding great playing through SS amps, and stuff like the Katana is a huge step from the SS amps that were around when I started playing.

I had over 10 years playing through various solid state crap in the 90s / early 00s, that getting a ‘proper’ amp (Marshall TSL601) was like flicking a switch for me. Went from feeling vaguely dissatisfied every time I played with harsh / sterile tone, to a nice warm compressed, just breaking up sound that made me want to plug in and play.

I could probably replace my bell bird / 1974x with a katana and be perfectly happy gigging them, but that’s a totally different deal to something like a Fender M80, Lacey HCM, Peavey Bandit, or the Jansen SS rubbish we had to learn on ~25 years ago.
All of this really ^

I had a Peavey Blazer as my first practice amp and it wasn't great. For school and band gigs, I got a Princeton Chorus that I used in the 90's which I look back on fondly. By the late 90's I went to a Classic 30 and never looked back.

I've had the odd SS practice amp over the last 20 years, most notably a 90's Park with two gain controls that actually sounded decent, but in the 18 months of becoming a Katana owner, I've not really considered buying another valve amp again... and this from a guy who shelved a Splawn for the Katana head!

Why? Because it's smaller, more robust, easier to move, more flexible tonally and I can get it to sound within 85% of my Splawn at almost any volume. That's hard to argue with. The head having the build in speaker means I've got a practice amp to. I gigged on the weekend and got a few comments on how good my tone was out of the Katana from other band members, and this was going up against Zaulkin who's on the other side of the stage with an Axe FX and always sounds amazing.

I think it's hard to compare a modern digital SS amp to those old hanky jobs of the past, the tech has come a long way, enough to sway a former tube elitist like myself.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

One of my first amps was a pro 185 Fender. When I bought a Fender Rivera combo SS amps took a back row.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

My first amp was a Park G25R and I actually remember it sounding pretty good!

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I have owned a grand total of three, a Fender Deluxe 85 in the very early 90s, a Marshall Valvestate S80 in the late 90s and then finally a Katana (last year). Never enamoured enough to persist. I did have a JC-120 on loan about 20 years ago too, which while 'nice' in its own way certainly didn't tick my Grunge/Industrial desires at the time. I didn't know enough about amps in my late teens to snob SS over tubes, I just knew I didn't like them as much (maybe an attack thing? dunno).

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Single coil wrote:I am thoroughly confused
He wants handles for his forks.

Molly, what is that Vox? I thought it might be an AD120VT, but the control panel is wrong.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 355 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Single coil wrote:I am thoroughly confused
He wants handles for his forks.

Molly, what is that Vox? I thought it might be an AD120VT, but the control panel is wrong.
ah, four candles, fork handles, forklift.

You're not in Blighty now Molly! Oh wait.... :lol:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Danger Mouse wrote:Molly, what is that Vox? I thought it might be an AD120VT, but the control panel is wrong.
Looks like one of the AC30VR's, I had one of these a while back

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2495 times
Been liked: 2804 times

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Molly, what is that Vox? I thought it might be an AD120VT, but the control panel is wrong.
Looks like one of the AC30VR's, I had one of these a while back
That's it. Sounds like this.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Thoughts on Solid State amps?

I own a SLO, which I love dearly, but would much rather take my Katana to the gig.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

handsoffmatt wrote:Thoughts on Solid State amps?

I own a SLO, which I love dearly, but would much rather take my Katana to the gig.
But you'd prefer your roadies to take the SLO instead?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

Haven't played too many in my time. Got some great clean sounds from a Jazz Chorus. Personally though, I haven't experienced a SS that gives me the feel/sound I get with my OD pedals and a toob amp though. I don't doubt that there are some SS that do it very well nowadays though!