Gibson goldtone60RV - anyone heard this amp?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

sambrowne wrote:Yeah, there's boogies and there's boogies. They still make plenty of classy little combos, but they are really known (as far as their modern stuff goes) for making death-amps - The Duel rectifier and the triple recto (the same but 150 watts (!)) are big rock behemoths, suitable for stadium rock and roll shenanigans (Metallica use them, for example). They are cool but really far more gain, size and volume than I require. I have a Tech21 Trademark 60 which is getting used more often as I don't have to ask a friend for help every time I want to move it into or out of a car. It's a great little amp and I highly recommend it, but I'm after a nice little tube amp to complement it. From what I'm seeing, the Gibson could well be that amp.

I appreciate the comments, thanks guys (and girls?)
I've only played the 30 watt goldtone, which is a class a el84 design, but it was a very nice amp in the vintage vox vein. It's a little known fact that all the goldtone series are actually trace elliot amp designs remarketed in gibson livery. Not a bad thing, for sure, but you should know you're not getting a gibson designed product but rather a gibson stickered product.

gibson's next move is a series of Mike Soldano designed amps. I dunno if they'll replace the goldtone/trace elliot amps or not.

By the way, the trademark 60 is a great little amp for the bucks and weight. I ws thinking about getting one as a backup until I managed to trade back my old mesa blue angel.

What styles do you play and tones do you like? -it's much easier to recommend amps if you have a bit of info about tastes...

i
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Wow, it's cool reading this stuff. For the record, I swapped a Les paul standard for the Goldtone in the end, and it has been absolutely awesome ever since. I played in a band with the Scarecrow and it easily kept up with his Marshall DSL stack. It can do everything from Vox overdrives to Marshall crunch, has two seperate reverbs for clean and dirty, goes unbelievably loud and best of all it's the only the combo I've ever heard that doesn't rattle no matter how loud you go. It weighs in at a very hefty 38kgs (makes my '67 Twin feel light) and is a bastard to move (unlike the Tech 21 which I should never have sold...) but it's the best amp I've ever heard and worth every penny. I only paid $1700 for the les paul I swapped it for, so basically I it for $1700, bargain of the century.

Does anybody else know of anyone using this amp? The 60 watt 2x12 version?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

Welcome back mate :) nice to hear it all worked out for you :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.