new cabs

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

got to agree with that... :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

works in progress...
Attachments
dccustom.jpg
dccustom.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 3112 times

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

now that looks about right. a stack that will blow womens clothes off when i hit a power chord.
AFK.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

dc wrote:
Gelato wrote:Anyone got suggestions on the next step after getting an empty DC cab? I'm extraordinarily lazy, and would rather get a cab with speakers and already covered instead of doing any of that "manual labour" nonsense :P
I'll work out a price to take it the whole way if you like. What speaker, covering and grille do you want?
All good questions... :? I don't really know enough about speakers to be honest. Vintage 30's sound interesting, but probablly too pricey. What speakers do you have access to?

For covering and grille, anything that goes with my amp would be excellent:
Probably a black tolex covering and whatever they call that grille on my amp (tweed or something?).

But in saying all that, I don't really care if it's fluffy pink with rabbit ears on it, as long as it sounds good ;) Well, you know what I mean...
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I agree, would prefer a fully functional cab... maybe we can all buy in bulk, save costs that way?

Who can hook a homie up?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Then there's that whole shipping issue...

Vintage 30's are 60watt (I think) and are about $220
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Points to note:

~Speakers are a pain in the arse to source. It seems to be like some big secret if you ask where to get them.

~Tolex covering is difficult and expensive to do, especially one at a time.

~Specific coverings, grillecloths, handles and corners will cost alot and be hard to get. You might just have to take what you're given and like it.

~Surplustronics, Livesound, maybe Jansen and maybe Rockit have corners, handles, grilles etc.

~Reid & Twiname in Mt Eden have vinyl for covering.

~Livesound, Electrosound, maybe Custom Audio, Jansen & Rockit have speakers

~A home/practice cab doesn't need covering, corners, jack plate, handles, grille etc. But if you want to take it places and have it come back in one peice, it does.

~That roll-on ute-bed sealant stuff is an easy alternative to tolex/vinyl covering. So is fabric (eg tweed/luggage linen) painted on with varnish.

DC, any chance of a demo unit for the thing on Saturday? I have one Eminence 12" driver we could put in it...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I used some cheap car carpet stuff (not too thick) for the covering and went to mitre 10 and got some black weed-mat type stuff for the grillecloth, looked good, cost me about $30 all up. Of course the fun part is glueing the carpet to the cab in a tidy fashion.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

Jaycar also do corners, handles and grilles. And carpet for subwoofers which isn't to hard to attach using spray adhesive :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Good thoughts Ash. I did a few vinyl covers years ago. Wonder if that girl still works for Reid and Twiname.......

I'll do some 1x12s & a 2x12. I've got some GT12s & a EV.. Might be fun to put the Eminance in a 1x12 too.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

A company called REX in the Wairau industrial area does industrial quality castors and fittings. Worth checking out.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

ash wrote:Points to note:

~Specific coverings, grillecloths, handles and corners will cost alot and be hard to get. You might just have to take what you're given and like it.

~A home/practice cab doesn't need covering, corners, jack plate, handles, grille etc. But if you want to take it places and have it come back in one peice, it does.
Good points. In my case, I suspect it won't leave the house except for NZG jams, so uncovered, uncornered cab would suit me fine 8)
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.